ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

IE 7.0 Beta 2: Any takers?

(1/5) > >>

lanux128:
Internet Explorer 7.0 Beta 2 Preview is available now for technical evaluation. according to soft32.com, some of the new features:

Internet Explorer Review
The latest version of the world’s most popular Web browser has been released for technical evaluation, feedback, and testing by software and Web site developers.

What offers:
· Dynamic security protection through a simplified architecture that defends against malware, and new dynamic ways to protect against personal data theft from fraudulent Web sites (a practice known as “phishing”).
· Improved design to make everyday tasks easier and faster, with better navigation through tabbed browsing; inline search right from the toolbar; shrink-to-fit Web page printing; and a streamlined, redesigned user interface (currently in its early stages in Beta 1).
· New tools to take you directly to the information you want through support for Web feeds (RSS) that includes automatic discovery of web feeds (RSS) on Web pages, basic Web Feed (RSS) reading capabilities, and basic support for saving Web feeds (RSS) as a new kind of favorite.
· Platform enhancements for developers to improve compatibility and manageability, including improved support for Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) as well as transparent PNG support.
--- End quote ---

so, any takers...? or is it too little, too late...

Cpilot:
I've been using it for about a month, WinXP SP2.
I like it. :Thmbsup:

nontroppo:
so, any takers...? or is it too little, too late...
-lanux128 (March 21, 2006, 10:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

{beware: browser criticism ahead - wear hard hat!  8) }

Well as far as web standards go, much too little too late. Thay have basically hacked and patched up an old dinosaur of code. The rendering engine (the core of a web browser) still fails to support HTTP/1.1 properly, fails to support XHTML properly, fails to support CSS2 properly, fails to support the DOM properly. They have added no new technologies since 2001. There is a litany of misrendering of web standards[1]. They did fix some bugs that have been untouched for 5 years!!!

Security is better; indeed that is so, but it could hardly of been made worse...

UI - a cold calculation to add the minimum number of features copied from other products to keep enough people on-board. Nothing innovative.

----
[1] Standards help users greatly as well as developers BTW before we get into that avenue.

Darwin:
I installed the beta last week and it screwed up my system so badly I had to restore a drive image from the week before that. 'Nuff said.

allen:
Well as far as web standards go, much too little too late.-nontroppo (March 22, 2006, 10:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I completely agree.  It's functionally superior to previous versions, but at the end of the day the general attitude seems to be that they don't have to create a superior browser, people will use it anyway.  And for a large chunk of the population, this is still unfortunately true . . . which continues to make life difficult for us developers.

That said, I was refreshed you didn't mention their pitiful ACID2 results -- while seeing a browser pull it off, I get sick of all the ACID, ACID, ACID clammoring. A benchmark, not a priority -- and by no means the true measure of a browser--not yet, anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version