ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building XP SP4 !

<< < (3/3)

ewemoa:
Reallocated sector count is the only S.M.A.R.T stat I've ever seen any use from, and that count doesn't go up until your drive is quite into the danger zone. Also, for most drives I've had failing, that count has been 0.
-f0dder (December 02, 2011, 12:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I guess you learned about your drive failures by other means -- presumably through observing odd / errant behavior, is that right?

f0dder:
Reallocated sector count is the only S.M.A.R.T stat I've ever seen any use from, and that count doesn't go up until your drive is quite into the danger zone. Also, for most drives I've had failing, that count has been 0.
-f0dder (December 02, 2011, 12:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for sharing your experience.  I guess you learned about your drive failures by other means -- presumably through observing odd / errant behavior, is that right?-ewemoa (December 02, 2011, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes.

If you're at the same physical location, the change in sounds from the drive when doing typical access patterns is often a dead giveaway - at least for 3.5" drives, 2.5" are do damn silent you might not notice.

I recently had the main drive (120GB 2.5" WD something-something) in my linux server crash. I started noticing that I'd sometimes get freezes in Minecraft, long SSH login times, and then stutters when copying files. Minecraft is Minecraft ;), but I had a good idea what was happening when the SSH login times ramped up. When the file copying started stuttering is around the time when DMA errors showed up in 'dmesg' output. I let it run a bit too long before getting a replacement drive, but PANTS-ON-HEAD-RETARDED-luckily lost no data (and apparently no corruption either - some data had .torrent files to check against, others .md5sums). Took around 40 hours to get all data off the drive, though.

I really should set up some dmesg logging that scans for DMA errors and the like... 40hz or Stoic (or anybody else) got any ideas?

4wd:
Having just had a WD 1TB become pretty much a brick because of the number of bad sectors it was diagnosed as having, S.M.A.R.T showed no problems in evidence.

The only useful S.M.A.R.T statistic I've had from a drive was it saying that it was taking longer than normal to become ready....30 minutes before it failed completely and a subsequent 1.5TB of data disappeared.  That appears to be because the heads may not be attached to the arms any more, I'll pull out the torx driver and have a look one of these days.

It just hasn't been my year for drives :(

ewemoa:
Hmm...apart from multiple drives (including backups online), I don't have any good ideas about how to keep stuff safer (apart from not keeping anything...).

JavaJones:
Hmm...apart from multiple drives (including backups online), I don't have any good ideas about how to keep stuff safer (apart from not keeping anything...).
-ewemoa (December 03, 2011, 12:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm yes, I think a Buddhist approach, giving up all one's data and forsaking digital possessions, will solve the problem. :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version