ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building XP SP4 !

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
You may need to be a logged in member of Windows Secrets, to read the linked article:

Building your own XP Service Pack 4-Windows Secrets
--- End quote ---

a brief copy from the post:

Building your own XP Service Pack 4
Posted on December 1, 2011 by Susan Bradley in Top Story

Starting today, Windows XP users will have 860 more days of official Microsoft support — and on every one of those days, many of those users will continue to run the operating system that just won’t die.

Want to extend the life of your Windows XP Service Pack 3 as long as possible? You can do so by installing Microsoft hotfixes as needed.

It’s ironic that the official Windows XP End of Support Countdown Gadget runs only on Vista and Windows 7. Perhaps Microsoft will offer a paper-based advent calendar for its XP users. Regardless of Microsoft’s schedule, a significant number of people will continue to use XP well past the deadline. Their practical reasons range from line-of-business needs to the economy to “It still fills all my needs.”

According to Microsoft, XP SP3 is the end of the line — there will not be an SP4. But that doesn’t mean you can’t build your own virtual version of SP4. Just use the hotfixes Microsoft develops over the remaining years of official support.

more... http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/building-your-own-xp-service-pack-4/
-Susan Bradley, Windows Secrets
--- End quote ---

40hz:
Easier might be to grab a copy of Torsen Wittrock's WSUS Offline Update utility.

WSUS Offline Update (c't Projekte Offline Updater - ctupdate)
Update Microsoft Windows Security without connecting to the Internet

Update Microsoft Windows Security without connecting your computer to the Internet: The WSUS Offline Update Project (formerly the c’t Offline Update Project) is a program script written by Torsten Wittrock that facilitates updating your Windows Operating System and/or Microsoft Office installation to the latest level of Microsoft security updates and bug fixes without needing to connect directly to the internet to do so. The update process is done from removable media (CD, DVD or an external hard drive) instead, which is enabled by the update program.
--- End quote ---

English language download page here.

This way you can build a disk with all the update files, reload XP from the original CD, or a disk image you previously created, and then run WSUSOU's built in utility to check for and reload any additional service packs or updates that are missing.

Licensed under GPL. Free for personal and commercial use. Sweet!

Note: this tool also can do the same for Vista, Win7, and MS Office. This is a great thing to have if you're responsible for maintaining several PCs. The time savings are huge. And having a DVD archive of every available MS update is worth it's weight in gold when you're at a client site. I've built disks for XP, Vista, Win7 - and every version of Office starting with XP using this and previous versions of this utility.

Cool tool. 8)

Stoic Joker:
Damn! ...That do look handy.

40hz:
Damn! ...That do look handy.
-Stoic Joker (December 01, 2011, 07:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

@SJ- Sure is. Also has NET framework and Windows Server covered! For folks like us that's almost like Christmas came early.   ;D

Lately I've stopped burning disks. I just keep the ISO images on a large flash drive along with all my other tech tools. If I need one, I'll mount the image. It's even faster that way. Especially if youre installing a full service pack. And it's your easiest alternative when you run into one of the ever increasing number of business 'enterprise oriented' PCs which no longer have optical drives installed.

So far everything fits on a 16Gb which I caught on sale for $25. I'll be moving to a 32/64Gb flash drive when/if the prices get a bit more affordable.
 8)

Note: once you have all the updates you can also stream them into a generic copy of windows and make a new installation CD (DVD actually) if you're a real overachiever!  ;D :-\

Stoic Joker:
So far everything fits on a 16Gb which I caught on sale for $25. I'll be moving to a 32/64Gb flash drive when/if the prices get a bit more affordable.-40hz (December 01, 2011, 09:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Damn, looks like they're out of these Lexar 32GB ThumbDrives now. I just grabbed one last week for $35.

Ironically I'm sitting here doing half a gig worth of updates on a Win 7 laptop right now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version