ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Ribbon UI - is it really THAT good?

<< < (4/13) > >>

ewemoa:
FWIW, at around 1:18:40 in the video, there is a question regarding when is it good / not good to use the Ribbon UI, followed by the speaker's answer.

Josh:
I, for one, absolutely LOVE the ribbon. If the standards for the Ribbon UI are adhered to, I.E., shortcut keys for each action on the ribbon, this can lead to a much quicker way to learn the UI and increase productivity. I had several users at my last organization who had issues with the ribbon. However, after showing them the shortcut key setup they were quick to thank me and explain to them that it is now easier to use their everyday functions.

Like others have said, the ribbon is either a "love it or hate it" item, for some reason. I, for one, look at it as a sign of progress and despise the old-style menu systems I had used for close to 20 years. This is far more intuitive and easy to use.

DmitriPopov:
Thank you all for your opinions and useful links. To sum it all up, I need Ribbon because it's a marketing trend, but if I fail to do it right it will ruin everything :) Perhaps I should create a series of demo/test versions to test the idea first... It's a long way to go.

cyberdiva:
Dmitri, I know you aren't enthusiastic about the idea, but I liked Renegade's suggestion: "you might want to consider adding both in, then letting people select which they want to use."   Greg Kochaniak offers this dual option in version 7 of his screen capture program, HyperSnap.  He might be a useful person to talk to.

Stoic Joker:
Dmitri, I know you aren't enthusiastic about the idea, but I liked Renegade's suggestion: "you might want to consider adding both in, then letting people select which they want to use."   Greg Kochaniak offers this dual option in version 7 of his screen capture program, HyperSnap.  He might be a useful person to talk to.-cyberdiva (December 01, 2011, 08:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - Especially in the test versions as it would make comparison between them easier. Test users could smoothly gravitate towards the one they were most comfortable with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version