ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Ribbon UI - is it really THAT good?

<< < (3/13) > >>

wraith808:
as long as it works enough to let me get something done with it.
-40hz (November 29, 2011, 09:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's the big thing.  If it works, and your user base is split, assess based on what ribbon will do for your application, and its usability and maintainability from your perspective.

Stoic Joker:
I played hell finding thing in the old MS Word UI, and I still play hell trying to find things in the new Word ribbon UI. For both I tend to fall back to using as many keyboard shortcuts as I can remember. While the ribbon does make it bit (and I mean just a bit) easier for me to find things on a normal desktop, I do think it is a step in the right direction for (finger world) tablet based computing.

Tuxman:
I, for one, still prefer applications with a clean, minimalistic GUI; even if there are ribbon applications with more features.

phitsc:
I prefer the ribbon as well, at least in MS Office, which are the only applications which I use that have ribbons. I think learning and understanding its concepts helps seeing its advantages and getting used to it. For the power users amongst you: ribbons have not replaced keyboard shortcuts ;)

the video mentioned above can be found here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jensenh/archive/2008/03/12/the-story-of-the-ribbon.aspx

ewemoa:
Thanks for the link :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version