ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Easy Remote access to another PC?

<< < (14/14)

4wd:
Since it's only for the control of my computers, I don't consider the permanent installation of RDP/VNC software intrusive - how would I get the other end to click on the non-existent keyboard to download transient software anyway?

I also don't think it's intrusive for computers you have overall supervision, (or in the case of relatives, "Technical Support"), over across a WAN/VPN.

I do think it's intrusive if you have to rely on an internet connection, as you do with LogMeIn, TeamViewer and, as it now seems, SRD, etc to a an arbitration server not under your control, (this includes the assumption that you'll always have a connection to it), when it's not necessary.

So it's back to finding the perfect VNC server/client or read up a bit more on getting RDP via HTTP to co-exist peacefully with the other servers running.

Carol Haynes:
I was responding to the original premise of the thread - which was a remote connection over the internet.

wraith808:
I was responding to the original premise of the thread - which was a remote connection over the internet.
-Carol Haynes (January 08, 2012, 07:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

JavaJones:
UltraVNC is my VNC client of choice. TightVNC has potentially better data encoding, but the new version lacks a display driver for mirroring, which makes it dog slow in my experience, especially over high bandwidth (e.g. LAN) connections.

- Oshyan

4wd:
I use UltraVNC also, the only problem with it and other VNC variants is I've yet to find one that can handle overlay video correctly.

Something which RDP seems to handle fine but then I have problems because it wants exclusive access to the audio even though I don't pass it through to the client.

As an example, when I was in the UK last year I was editing video back in Australia over RDP.  I had to start the edit using RDP over HTTP because the editing program, (VideoReDo), would complain it couldn't load the video because of no access to an audio decoder, (DirectX).  After the video was loaded into the program I could then switch to straight RDP to do the editing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version