ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Easy Remote access to another PC?

<< < (4/14) > >>

app103:
My first choice is Microsoft's RDP, second choice is TightVNC...good for use in situations where there isn't much bandwidth available, such as using over dialup. Also light enough to run on old low spec systems.  I have successfully run v1.3 in server mode on my 14 year old 9x snail (233mhz Pentium I, 64mb RAM) over 33.6k dialup. ;)

There is also a portable version available in case you want to preconfigure it for your clients, rather than trying to walk them through the settings over the phone or IM. It's the older v1.3, which does have some limitations on Vista/Win7, most notably that you can't run it as a service.

Carol Haynes:
Forgot to say: Team Viewer supports Windows, Mac and Linux and also Android and iPhone/iPad mobile devices. (All of these are cross platform - so you can provide support to a Mac users from a Windows machine etc.)

JavaJones:
I was a big TightVNC fan for a long time but then V2 came out and if I recall correctly it no longer has a special driver for accelerated video conversion, so I find it to be quite slow, especially compared to RDP or TeamViewer, or even UltraVNC, and particularly when used on a LAN (in other lower bandwidth situations there is less expectation of near-realtime performance, at least).

Carol makes a very good case for TeamViewer, all of which I can confirm from my own experience.

Not sure why you'd bother setting up a VPN separately just to run RDP unless you need VPN anyway. As Carol said, TeamViewer is encrypted by default anyway. You can also do file and directory transfers, among other things.

- Oshyan

Josh:
If it is just a single PC behind the router, you don't need the VPN. My setup has 7-8 pcs behind each router/firewall and as such, forwarding 3389 can be problematic. Either way, a 3rd party app would have to be installed and neorouter/hamachi wouldn't interfere with anything else on a standard setup, from my experience.

JavaJones:
TeamViewer seems to punch right through firewalls/routers no problem, in my experience. It  probably negotiates through an intermediate server, but I'm ok with that, it's done securely. And isn't Hamachi a "3rd party app" in itself? You need to touch the machine to install it, so you can install that and VNC (or enable RDP), or you can just install TeamViewer, I think. Maybe doesn't work in your setups though.

Ultimately there are many good options, which I'm thankful for! And I've relied on several different ones over the last 15 years. TeamViewer is just the latest and most convenient, for me. :)

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version