ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

HDDlife Pro (and other disk-health reporters)

<< < (4/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I have had a few drives go bad - all the SMART enabled drives have given me warning (which is a little reassuring) but then nothing beats proper backups ... ahem - I'd better do one!

m_s:
For Carol: Off topic - Beware:

SpoilerHow do we in England claim our waffle?

Carol Haynes:
For Carol: Off topic - Beware:

SpoilerHow do we in England claim our waffle?
-m_s (April 05, 2006, 05:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Had to think about that ...LOL - haven't got a waffle iron but you are welcome to pancakes if you get to the Yorkshire Dales

Darwin:
Hi all - I have had TWO hard drives in two different notebooks fail over the past two weeks. Frankly, I'm fed up with notebooks in general and notebook drives in particular. I have had 4 fail while in use as the primary drive and two others (pulled when I upgraded) develop errors while in use as USB external backup drives. That makes 6 total in about two years in use in three different notebooks. Pathetic. Anyway, back on topic, I am posting because neither of the recent failures that I experienced gave any advance warning at all.

As soon as I have a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket (should be around 2015 at the rate I'm going), I'm buying a desktop!

Carol Haynes:
I hope so :) - a "reallocated sector" happens when your drive determines there's a bad sector. It notes this in an internal map, and chooses a spare sector that all references to this sector will be mapped to (all modern drives have a smallish pool of spare sectors). In other words, a non-zero amount of reallocated sectors means your drive has some problem. And once you have one bad sector, others tend to follow...
-f0dder (April 05, 2006, 05:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe a sign of my age but ... I thought all hard drives have odd bad sectors. Low level formatting with the drive manufacturers tools hide them from the user but there will always be odd sectors that go bad for one reason or another over time without the drive necessarily dying - this is especially tru of the large format drives available now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version