ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

HDDlife Pro (and other disk-health reporters)

<< < (3/5) > >>

mouser:
i want to echo longrun's very wise advice (even if it is spoken from a cat that looks like it is on drugs).
almost all hard disk failures i've had seem to have been suddent and catastrophic, so no matter what drive monitoring tool you have, don't assume it is going to save you from a crash, and make sure you have backups always.

svv1999:
i want to echo longrun's very wise advice-mouser (April 05, 2006, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
I am echoing none of you. The only total failure I ever had, announced itself by sporadic losses of compressed drives under Win95.
Since then I am content with Maxtor/Quantum HD's and their offline drive fitness test utility. This utility allowed me to replace two HD's in time, i.e. during the guarantee period. A third HD is considered faulty by this utility since about six years, but is still used for tests of Linux distributions without any problems.

f0dder:
m_s, you have a non-zero reallocated sector count... if the application is showing this value correctly, it's time to replace that drive ASAP.

m_s:
Thanks for the warning - which meant nothing to me!  After a bit of research on this, I'm pretty sure it counts down from 100 - as in 100% a-okay.  (At least I hope so...)

f0dder:
I hope so :) - a "reallocated sector" happens when your drive determines there's a bad sector. It notes this in an internal map, and chooses a spare sector that all references to this sector will be mapped to (all modern drives have a smallish pool of spare sectors). In other words, a non-zero amount of reallocated sectors means your drive has some problem. And once you have one bad sector, others tend to follow...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version