ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

HDDlife Pro (and other disk-health reporters)

<< < (5/5)

f0dder:
I hope so :) - a "reallocated sector" happens when your drive determines there's a bad sector. It notes this in an internal map, and chooses a spare sector that all references to this sector will be mapped to (all modern drives have a smallish pool of spare sectors). In other words, a non-zero amount of reallocated sectors means your drive has some problem. And once you have one bad sector, others tend to follow...
-f0dder (April 05, 2006, 05:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe a sign of my age but ... I thought all hard drives have odd bad sectors. Low level formatting with the drive manufacturers tools hide them from the user but there will always be odd sectors that go bad for one reason or another over time without the drive necessarily dying - this is especially tru of the large format drives available now.
-Carol Haynes (April 07, 2006, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not in my experience - I have quite a bunch of drives, and none of them (except the gone-bad ones) have a non-zero realloc sector count.

HOWEVER, any drive will produce an amount of correctable CRC errors.  This has to do with drive density et cetera. The same goes for CD and DVD media. You don't see these as an end-user, iirc the correctable CRC errors don't show up in normal SMART logs (I could be mistaken though), and for CD/DVD media you'll need advanced tools like PlexTools to see them. A steady (but low) amount of correctable errors is fine, but if the rate goes up or has spikes, then you're likely to have a problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version