ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

GeminiSoft Pimmy

<< < (3/3)

m_s:
I recently reinstalled XP on home and work machines, and I've not got around to reinstalling FK on the work machine - which is where I use it: as I said, I've not used it much in awhile, so it's a pretty low priority.  Which means I don't know which version I have...  I know I said it was 5 or 6 years of messages I needed to access, but actually I realise we had CompuServe messages starting around 1992 or 93, and Pegasus from around 98.  When I took up this job, the previous incumbent had about five versions of the CompuServe software installed, in order to be able to read messages from all the different versions!  FK fixed that nicely.

allen:
Is TB's configuration in one or more identifiable files, so that you could back those up in case of disaster?
[/url]

I had everything backed up, as TB has a very effective backup/restore feature.  Unfortunately, the backup was on the same hard drive -- in my defense, I was in the Navy and didn't have a lot of options on where/what to do with my data.

I've only just started with conventional email clients (mostly been using CompuServe) and haven't got very far yet.  I'm assuming I'd keep identifiable folders for mailing lists, but I hadn't thought farther than that.  Sounds like TB needs a faster searching system...

--- End quote ---

It's not picking on the bat specifically -- this is the case, in my experience, across the board.  Search is often thrown in as a feature not the focus -- the result is a mediocre search -- and when you're talking about a massive mailbase, seconds or even minutes are at stake :)  TB has a new improved search, but I really haven't tried it yet.

I thought TB had virtual folders?  It was really all a single message base?

--- End quote ---

No.  Well, TB does have virtual folders now -- they're a relatively new feature (Last year or two) -- I haven't spent enough time to know just how effective they are, though.  Even with virtual folders, one can lose a lot of time organizing :) I do keep my mailing lists in separate views, though -- as I don't need them mixed with personal mail or vice versa.

re: m_s
-- Might be time to start a new thread about mail conversion/archival :) -rjbull (April 07, 2006, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

rjbull:
I recently reinstalled XP on home and work machines, and I've not got around to reinstalling FK on the work machine - which is where I use it: as I said, I've not used it much in awhile, so it's a pretty low priority. 
-m_s (April 07, 2006, 04:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Suggest you take another look - just this week, there's a new version out.  More interesting, they've slashed the price of the Pro version from $124 to $39, and even made some parts of it freeware!

Which means I don't know which version I have...

--- End quote ---

I didn't mean version numbers, so much as whether it was worth having the e-mail only or e-mail + newsgroup or both + whatever versions, which is probably moot in view of ghe above.

five versions of the CompuServe software installed, in order to be able to read messages from all the different versions!  FK fixed that nicely.

--- End quote ---

That gives me some hope!  :)

rjbull:
I had everything backed up, as TB has a very effective backup/restore feature.  Unfortunately, the backup was on the same hard drive -- in my defense, I was in the Navy and didn't have a lot of options on where/what to do with my data.
-allen (April 07, 2006, 05:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

And I daresay that was before USB sticks and external HDs were so common.  Still, it's nice to know about TB's backup/restore features.

It's not picking on the bat specifically -- this is the case, in my experience, across the board.  Search is often thrown in as a feature not the focus

--- End quote ---

I keep thinking about converting things to Inmagic, the text retrieval system.  I doubt it will ever happen, but that would (for me) be a good way of storing/retrieving text.

No.  Well, TB does have virtual folders now -- they're a relatively new feature (Last year or two) -- I haven't spent enough time to know just how effective they are, though.  Even with virtual folders, one can lose a lot of time organizing

--- End quote ---

I think I read that they're dynamic, which I took to mean, once you'd set up a search profile, any new mail would automatically be filtered through that search as well and the relevant virtual folder updated.

I do keep my mailing lists in separate views, though -- as I don't need them mixed with personal mail or vice versa.

--- End quote ---

That makes very good sense...

re: m_s
-- Might be time to start a new thread about mail conversion/archival :)

--- End quote ---

I think I'd better put a note in general software about the new version of ForKeeps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version