ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In search of ... information/opinions on VHS to DVD converters

<< < (5/5)

barney:
Interesting.

I'm more and more getting a feeling that most of the hardware is adequate, but the accompanying software may leave a bit -  :huh: - to be desired.  Won't know, of course, until the hardware is delivered, but it's nice to have alternatives - assuming the stated hardware will allow it, of course  :-\.

You're pretty much right about one-shot - well, 40-50 shots  ;D - but I've found in the past that once something like this gets started, new opportunities, previously unforeseen, for utilization will arise.  This is not always advantageous  :P.

BTW, thanks for the thread - I managed to miss it (why am I not surprised  :-[.).

Armando:
I wasn't going to chime into this thread since it seemed barney was after a kind of one-shot device, (sorry if I'm wrong), but the video/sync problem you mention hasn't affected me out of the 50 or so transfers I've done because I spent a lot of time looking for software that didn't do it - the only one I found out of all the freeware I tried and quite a few payware was iuVCR, (or the updated iuVCS), as I mentioned here, (I still use the same transfer methodology).

I've yet to have this software give me sync problems, I have had no audio problems, (as in silence), due to me not selecting the right input  :-[ but that's it.
-4wd (November 27, 2011, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh ! Thanks. I'll that out.

4wd:
I wasn't going to chime into this thread since it seemed barney was after a kind of one-shot device, (sorry if I'm wrong), but the video/sync problem you mention hasn't affected me out of the 50 or so transfers I've done because I spent a lot of time looking for software that didn't do it - the only one I found out of all the freeware I tried and quite a few payware was iuVCR, (or the updated iuVCS), as I mentioned here, (I still use the same transfer methodology).

I've yet to have this software give me sync problems, I have had no audio problems, (as in silence), due to me not selecting the right input  :-[ but that's it.
-4wd (November 27, 2011, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh ! Thanks. I'll that out.
-Armando (November 27, 2011, 09:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not saying it'll work for you but since I tried capturing analogue video the same way using each different program, (eg. close extraneous programs, turn off W7 Aero when using Win7, don't play games - really hard not to do when the machine is sitting there 'idle' :) , turn off screensaver, etc), it was the only program that just happily recorded everything without me having to fool around in Vegas re-syncing the audio/video.  Most recordings I did were under XP it should be noted but the same applies.

Default sync settings as follows:

Normally capture to HuffyYUV encoding, (ffdshow), and 48kHz PCM stereo - CPU has minimal work to do.

About the only trouble I have is making sure I have the correct audio input selected and I was actually plugged into the input I thought I was.
iuVCS can also get a little cranky if you try to start a second recording after finishing the first, not a problem for me - I just restart the program.  iuVCS is still technically beta software, I have to say that while it's layout is fine, finding the right area which contains the setting I want can be a little confusing at times.

While I understand why I could get sync problems using the setup I do, (separate capture card and audio input, ergo different signal paths), I have wondered why the USB devices can suffer from sync problems since both signals are digitised in the same blackbox and sent over the USB cable to be encoded.  Unless there is some inherent delay in the hardware they use or the drivers - why is it so?

Armando:
Thanks for all the details. I won't be transferring anything before next Saturday, but I'll try that out for sure. Will keep you posted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version