ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In search of ... information/opinions on VHS to DVD converters

<< < (4/5) > >>

barney:
Well ...

We'll see when they arrive - just got an email that the order has shipped, so should see delivery in a few days, prolly Thursday or Friday.

Then the three (3) of us will test each one to see what might develop.  I'm likely to be the heaviest user, but both my compatriots will have use for at least one (1) of the units/software.  One of 'em has a bunch of personal recordings on VHS - birthdays, weddings, other such personal celebrations - pretty decent for home recording stuff.  The other has a bunch of sailing recordings, pretty low quality, but stuff he wants to keep.

Don't really foresee any real conflicts amongst us, particularly since we're physically so close that swapping out/loaning shouldn't be any problem.

Ah, well, time will tell.

JavaJones:
You're lucky you can get a 3-way test going with some friends, very cool! Pretty soon you'll be able to tell *us* what the best option is. :)

- Oshyan

Armando:
+1 ... keep us posted !

Your thread reminded me to convert a few things while my VCR is still alive. I still have about 20 unconverted tapes (family stuff and mostly artistic performances). I decided to do 1 tape every second day... Will see if I have the patience.  :)

The one I did today with the Diamond VC500 was converted properly, but... with a small sound/video sync problem. This won't be hard to fix with a video editing software (I'll either move the sound track slightly OR "compress" it a tad). But be warned : this is a common problem.

barney:
That's interesting to know  :o.  I can just imagine some of the movies with the sound track shifted a couple-two-t'ree frames.  Kinda like the Singing in the Rain scene, "Yes, yes, yes.  No, no no."  Some of the sci-fi stuff could get really interesting.  Something to watch for, thanks.

As this transpires, I'll post progress - or lack of it  :tellme: - here.  Might be able to keep someone else from making my mistakes - and I know there will be mistakes  :P.

Side note:  I usually spell-check my posts here - don't wanna embarrass myself in such an august assemblage  :huh:.  It's amazing and frustrating that the spell checker doesn't recognize some very simple Web things - like Google, for instance  :P.

4wd:
The one I did today with the Diamond VC500 was converted properly, but... with a small sound/video sync problem. This won't be hard to fix with a video editing software (I'll either move the sound track slightly OR "compress" it a tad). But be warned : this is a common problem.-Armando (November 27, 2011, 05:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wasn't going to chime into this thread since it seemed barney was after a kind of one-shot device, (sorry if I'm wrong), but the video/sync problem you mention hasn't affected me out of the 50 or so transfers I've done because I spent a lot of time looking for software that didn't do it - the only one I found out of all the freeware I tried and quite a few payware was iuVCR, (or the updated iuVCS), as I mentioned here, (I still use the same transfer methodology).

I've yet to have this software give me sync problems, I have had no audio problems, (as in silence), due to me not selecting the right input  :-[ but that's it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version