ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In search of ... information/opinions on VHS to DVD converters

(1/5) > >>

barney:
Folk,

I just picked up a 55" LG.  It has 3D capability, wireless Internet access, Web apps ... you know, all those little goodies that I prolly didn't need in the first place.  Been planning and saving for this for a while.  Didn't really want 55", but everything that was available to me went from 47" to 55", no in between <sigh />  :D.

OK, so I got the box.  As it happens, I have a number of VHS movies that I'd really like to be able to see on this screen  :huh:.  Haven't been in a rush to do anything about conversion, since I still have a VHS/DVD box, which is connected to a smaller screen.  Unfortunately, there's not a really convenient way to plug that box into the new screen  :o.  So now I have a valid reason - and a certain impetus <chortle /> - to start converting those VHS tapes to some sort of DVD medium.  (Baby Daughter would like to see them on the new screen, and I like to keep Baby Daughter happy  :-*.)

There are a number of converters available, but I'd like to hear from folk that have actually used one (1) or more of 'em.  Somehow, I have little trust for so-called review sites, as I seldom know which [reviews] are honest and which are house shills  :-\.  (Hey, it could be worse - I could have all Beta-Max <snicker />  :P.)

So, once again, I'm falling back to the folk I can reasonably trust for opinions and, hopefully, some first hand experience  :Thmbsup:.  Anybody with any experience in this arena  :tellme:?

Oh, yeah ... as a side issue, but less important at the moment, any thoughts on Netflix vs. Hulu vs. Vudu vs. whatever?  (I was a Netflix CD subscriber about a decade ago, but have no experience with the streaming products.)  I currently have a stated 8Mb pipe, but could upgrade to a [max] 12Mb pipe if need be for this purpose  :-\.

Shades:
All is well and good, but the content from VHS tapes has usually a resolution formatted as 4:3.

How does your new screen handle that format? This could be potentially disastrous for your viewing pleasure.

Better to copy the content from the VHS and store it digitally on your PC and edit (the format) if necessary with software. Put the content on memory stick (formatted as FAT32, so watch out with file sizes!) and connect it to the TV or hook the TV into your network and access the content through the TV interface.

This sounds more complicated, but in practice it isn't.

Stoic Joker:
I just picked up a 55" LG.
-barney (November 24, 2011, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

:o Me too! ...Must be an epidemic. ;) I don't get mine delivered till tomorrow  :(; how you liking the "Magic Motion" (Harry Potter) remote??

Unfortunately, there's not a really convenient way to plug that VHS box into the new screen
-barney (November 24, 2011, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is it a space/distance issue?? Seems like you should be able to get the VHS <-> LG55 connected using component video - They should both support it.

I'm assuming the TV should be able to hit damn near any resolution (for the price on these things it better...), My brother's 32" did when I had it connected to my computer for testing.

NigelH:
Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe
Amazon
Newegg

Very favorable reviews- I bought one recently
Have not yet got around to using it though

Armando:
There are lots of analog to digital converters out there, in the form of USB/RCA connectors + converter.
I personally bought the Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture Device a while ago. It does an ok job. Enough for my needs. BUT, cheaper alternatives might do exactly the same job : http://www.google.com/search?q=vhs+to+dvd+converter+USB+RCA&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=ZRPQTs-JFMfLtgey9tDpDw&ved=0CE0QrQQ&biw=1087&bih=716#q=vhs+to+dvd+converter+USB+RCA&hl=en&sa=X&tbs=p_ord:p&tbm=shop&prmd=imvns&ei=RhTQTvXbN8fLtgey9tDpDw&ved=0CAsQuw0oAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d98391f7096812b4&biw=1087&bih=716

And +1 for what Shades suggested.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version