ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google scares me, I think.

<< < (3/3)

zridling:
If you have verify enabled, it will send you a message each time you logon from another physical device. Make sure it's disabled:
https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsAuthConfig

f0dder:
Okay, now I am spooked. I was talking to a friend on Google Chat (part of the GMail interface). Through stupid absent-mindedness I typed a question, then closed the GMail tab and went to other things.

A minute later the reply came to my Android phone.

Apparently Google figured out that I was no longer "on" the chat and re-routed the message. Useful, yes. But scary, too! My phone is tied into my Google account, otherwise it'd be pretty useless, but I still try to keep up pretenses by disabling GPS, location services, all that. But there is no escaping anymore.-tranglos (November 24, 2011, 04:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nothing scary about this, it's simply the (extremly useful) gmail+gtalk integration. And I agree with Eóin's assessment that it's nothing to do with "detecting which device you're on", but rather your android phone doing pull updates every N seconds, and only popping up chat messages that haven't been flagged as 'read'... which they would be, when sitting on your PC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version