ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

Finished Coding Snack: Separate .txt file at any specified punctuation mark

<< < (2/8) > >>

timns:
It would be extremely easy to roll a tiny program to read a .txt file, split according to AbteriX's regex rules and spit out a new version with the line breaks.

At the moment if your text contained (say) numbers with decimal points, they would also be split by that expression. But it would not be difficult to cater for that, along with perhaps splitting on ?, ! etc.

Quidnunc:
Hi Timns

By a small program do you mean something like a dialogue box in which I could paste some text and have it do what I ask.  If so that would be wonderfull.  I know this will sound terrible and I don't want to seem unappreciative but the less work I have to do the better because as already stated, I only use a computer I have very little understanding of the way they work or the associated language.

timns:
Hi Timns

By a small program do you mean something like a dialogue box in which I could paste some text and have it do what I ask.  If so that would be wonderfull.  I know this will sound terrible and I don't want to seem unappreciative but the less work I have to do the better because as already stated, I only use a computer I have very little understanding of the way they work or the associated language.
-Quidnunc (November 25, 2011, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's exactly what I mean. The heavyweight alternative is that you can already do this in Word and many text editors, but if you want a small snack-sized solution then you shall have one - it's what DC is all about!

Unless anyone else steps up before the weekend, I'll have a go at this. If anyone else DOES decide to have a go, please let me know   :Thmbsup:

Quidnunc:
Hi again

I will look forward to seeing this and will be forever grateful to you, and a donation will be made thereafter.  Some members might wonder why I want such a tool; well I spend a lot of time analysing texts for meaning and understanding (as distinct from just reading it).  I am currently looking at 'Harry Potter and The Philosophers Stone', building a time-line, discovering inconsistencies etc.

Quidnunc

AbteriX:
Abterix: You have suggested using Regular Expressions, however, I only have the vaguest idea as to what a regular expression is and how it works.-Quidnunc (November 25, 2011, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
Just google for 'regular expression wiki'

To use it I would guess I would have to have some software installed (you mention EmEditor & HippoEDIT which no doubt I would have to buy and learn how to use).
--- End quote ---
Not necessary, PSPad can do it also and is freeware.

But an dedicated app would be much more nifty of course.

BTW, our DonationCoder "Clipboard Help and Spell" can do it as well:
(here with an additional feature idea: 'split long lines without punctuation too at char number n' )

Finished Coding Snack: Separate .txt file at any specified punctuation mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version