ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Outlook PST Repair Recommendations?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Time to shut up before I rant
-Renegade (November 25, 2011, 03:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why - it will do you good.

I think MS have a special deal with a lot of these PST recovery companies - its the only rational reason I can see for the existence of PSTs in this day and age.

I still have Outlook but I have almost stopped using it. I do everything now online and archive my online accounts in Outlook and Mailstore - but for daily use Outlook rarely gets opened.

I find Mailstore invaluable - it has an archive of my emails going back over 10 years and the search feature is instant - plus you can export to almost any email client if you want to on a single email to the whole archive - even to text files.

I have just upgraded to Mailstore Server (yes I know it is expensive) but it just sits quietly on my computer and automatically archives my email accounts on a scheduled basis without interrupting anything. At least give Mailstore Home (free) a go.

Stoic Joker:
I had a PST file I'd been hanging onto for several years in the hopes that it could at some point be recovered (it's from the RAID 0 crash I had back when). So between curiosity and this thread, I decided to take another run at it.

Scanpst claimed (as it had before) that it had recovered 1,000+ items, but when I tried to do an import it accomplished nothing ... Which is why I'd given up on it back when. Granted I hadn't completely given up because I never deleted the file, but the project had beed shelved pending new information/options.

So... Just for the hell of it, I tried opening the PST (don't actually know why I never tried that before),  and Outlook mounted it next to my current personal folder. It was perfectly readable and I was able to copy over all of the mail, contacts, and events that it contained. Why Outlook would not just import it, I've not a clue. But I do at least now finally have it back after sitting on the burnt pst cornflake for almost 4 years. :)

The PST was from Outlook 2003, and I'm currently using Outlook 2007.

Thanks Ren!

timns:
I find Mailstore invaluable - it has an archive of my emails going back over 10 years and the search feature is instant - plus you can export to almost any email client if you want to on a single email to the whole archive - even to text files.

I have just upgraded to Mailstore Server (yes I know it is expensive) but it just sits quietly on my computer and automatically archives my email accounts on a scheduled basis without interrupting anything. At least give Mailstore Home (free) a go.
-Carol Haynes (November 25, 2011, 03:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry to go off-topic - but Carol can you confirm that MailServer can be taken totally "in-house" i.e. so I don't have to rely on their servers, and can buy a license not a subscription?

Carol Haynes:
It is a Desktop app pure and simple - no servers involved.

The only MailStore servers are the ones you buy and the only interaction with Mailstore is to install the license when you set it up.

The Home version doesn't even need a license it is a free download - usually 1-2 versions behind the full version but still very good at what it does.

As far as I understand the licensing system it is as follows:

1) Home - no specific licensing/activation. Just agree to only use it for home use. Upgrades are free - but they are fairly infrequent. Just install the new version over the old one.
2) Server - minimum purchase is for 5 seats and the license is activated during installation - the license doesn't expires and upgrades are available for the support period included in the purchase (1, 2 or 3 years). If you want to upgrade later to the next version it is up to you but there is no requirement but you can only renew the support option during the life of the support license).

They don't use a subscription model for the software itself (only support and upgrades) - it is just licensed per seat. The server version allows you to centralise backup and storage of email with all licensed machines having access to their own email over the network.

In the past I have asked for help with the free Home version and they have always been very quick to respond and helpful.

Limitations exist on what can and can't be done -eg. the Home version supports archiving all Outlook PST files in the current Outlook profile (and I think uses Outlook to extract the data). The Server version allows archiving of PST files directly (just point at a PST file and you can archive it).

Archiving in both versions can be rule based (but doesn't have to be). For example you can restrict the folders you archive and you can set it to automatically delete emails from the source as they are archived, specifying an age before archiving takes place.

It supports lots of mail clients and can do POP directly and is preconfigures to allow archiving of GMail accounts. It can also archive IMAP accounts and the server version works with MS Exchange too.

Mailstore server also works across Workgroups or server based networks.

Give the Home version a go - you have nothing to lose except time! There is a 30 day trial for the server version (You need to convert the Home archive and import it into the server version if you change app).

If you want to see more about pricing and licensing terms for the server cersion check out the FAQs link on https://my.mailstore.com/Store?lang=en#

timns:
Thank you Carol. I'll have to give this thing a go.

The idea of being able to do a unified search across all my old emails is very appealing for a start - I had resigned myself to keeping an old Eudora and Thunderbird installed to look back.

And I see there's an Outlook plugin... looking pretty good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version