ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wave? Good-bye!

(1/8) > >>

40hz:
This just arrived in my mailbox. Guess it's 'real' official now!   :huh:

Looks like you've got until April 30th to clean out your desk...

Wonder if anybody really cares any more?

Dear Wavers,

More than a year ago, we announced that Google Wave would no longer be developed as a separate product. At the time, we committed to maintaining the site at least through to the end of 2010. Today, we are sharing the specific dates for ending this maintenance period and shutting down Wave. As of January 31, 2012, all waves will be read-only, and the Wave service will be turned off on April 30, 2012. You will be able to continue exporting individual waves using the existing PDF export feature until the Google Wave service is turned off. We encourage you to export any important data before April 30, 2012.

If you would like to continue using Wave, there are a number of open source projects, including Apache Wave. There is also an open source project called Walkaround that includes an experimental feature that lets you import all your Waves from Google. This feature will also work until the Wave service is turned off on April 30, 2012.

For more details, please see our help center.

Yours sincerely,

The Wave Team

© 2011 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043
You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Google Wave account.
--- End quote ---

mahesh2k:
They're closing many services like G translate API, Wave, Buzz, Bookrmarks etc.

No more google services for me. This month turned off many of their active services like analytics, google+, reader, mail etc etc. I'm done with their puppet show.

db90h:
At least they notified you. Some services and companies die without warning, all while taking in money from new customers. I can cite one right now. It is quite obvious, with the forum having spam 44+ days old.. but they continue to take on new long term customers, while leaving promises of new developments long unfulfilled, and ignoring user comments. Either they work a week and take a vacation for at least 44 days, or they are going under. Google is the one who may be putting them under though, as it has added the features that made this company once unique. It is hard to speak without mentioning names, but I am speaking of a real time analytics service. Now, maybe they are alive and well, but they don't seem like it to me. I could be wrong. The problem may simply be not starting small. When you start 'big', with employees and overhead, you've got big revenue expectations. Of course, it is all relative, but the correlation is what I speak of -- your overhead is related to your revenue demands (obviously). Being a one man show, I may be shortening my life with all the stress, but I sure am not taking on extra overhead, as I don't have the capital to risk.

This cleanup of projects is necessary, I believe. While those who rely on them are sadly left 'out in the cold', some needed removal. The reasons vary from overlapping newer services, or no longer having a developer maintaining the project or lab feature. Some lab features have gone so stagnant that they are becoming out of date. That said, I find many extremely useful, and hope that Google encourages new developers to pick up existing lab projects when one developer loses interest. You see, at Google, software engineers are allotted some time to work on whatever project they choose or invent. I believe many of the lab projects are born of this. However, some later die because of a change in interest by the developer.

Now that I've been so nice to Google, let me say that Google is far from perfect (who is?). Their Chromebooks are vastly over-priced, and they seem to underestimate the wide array of uses people and businesses have for PCs. Still, they continue to innovate, and are literally making money on every person they can bring onto the internet.

db90h:
previous updated [notification]

40hz:
Just out of curiosity - did anybody here who had an account ever figure out an effective or useful way to use the thing? Because I never could. For me it was Chandler all over again - something that sounded really cool and useful until you actually went to do something with it. At which point it all fell down like a house of cards. However, that might just be me not "getting it."

I must confess, I never "got" Google Wave.  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version