ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Action Outline on offer at Bits du Jour, 2011-11-21

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
AO is a nice outliner. But I don't see anything in it that's compelling enough to justify the price or upgrade policy when there are so many other products out there that offer as much for less.

I'm also not particularly interested in seeing a huge number of formatting or 'extra' features in this category of software. To me, outlining should be lean & mean. If I want to create and maintain a knowledgebase, there are far better software choices out there to do that as well.

Just my 2ยข.
 :)

wraith808:
AO is a nice outliner. But I don't see anything in it that's compelling enough to justify the price or upgrade policy when there are so many other products out there that offer as much for less.
-40hz (November 22, 2011, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 Agreed.

rjbull:
I thought DC folk would be interested, but I didn't press the button.  I already have MemPad (free), an older version of Ultra Recall (too complicated for me) and AllMyNotes.  The latter currently has a generous upgrade policy, i.e. free, though retaining the right to charge later on if they need to, clearly stated.

I think there are brief mentions of Action Outline in the famous "General brainstorming for Note-taking software" thread.  I didn't realise the upgrade policy was so stingy, given that, as I understand it, it isn't updated very often, and I'm not much excited by fancy appearance either.

40hz:
I think there are brief mentions of Action Outline in the famous "General brainstorming for Note-taking software" thread.  I didn't realise the upgrade policy was so stingy, given that, as I understand it, it isn't updated very often, and I'm not much excited by fancy appearance either.
-rjbull (November 22, 2011, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it was the upgrade policy that was the showstopper for me.

But I also have a distinct preference for single-pane outliners.

FYI:

For quick & dirty stuff I use the freebie TKoutline. The SourceForge download page seems to be screwed up. But Softpedia has it here. It's a standalone executable so it's also portable. I keep a copy of this on almost every USB key I own.

Action Outline on offer at Bits du Jour, 2011-11-21

Note: TKoutline is light on bells & whistles. So much so it almost feels more like a DOS app than a Windows app. Some people have even called it primitive. I think "primeval" is a more accurate description. And one of the reasons I like it as much as I do. It just does one thing very very well.

For more complex stuff I'll use a few different outliner apps that are geared towards specific types of work, the most used being the rather expensive (creative writing oriented) Outline 4D.

:)

rjbull:
I also have a distinct preference for single-pane outliners.
[...]
For quick & dirty stuff I use the freebie TKoutline.-40hz (November 22, 2011, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
I nearly said, single-pane (and three-pane) outliners are now rare compared to two-pane, and it would be nice to see more.  You have an alternative to TKoutline in another single-pane outliner that's been mentioned on DC before: Noteliner.  It's just been updated, too, October 28, 2011: As simple and lightweight as a text editor, with the power of an outliner, and the metadata of a to-do list--and now TABLES!
--- End quote ---
Whether it has the right balance of simplicity vs. features is for you to decide  :)

the rather expensive (creative writing oriented) Outline 4D.-40hz (November 22, 2011, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
It looks a bit like it's trying to be a modern ECCO.  If it fits that bill, I suppose it justifies its price.

[Edit at UK time 2011-11-22, 21:45:-] Noteliner 3.3 Build2b is giving me an error. [/Edit]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version