ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Special File Recovery Software

<< < (4/6) > >>

Curt:
R-Studio is another ...-4wd (November 22, 2011, 05:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have not tried R-Studio, but I have their R-Drive Image. When I politely requested a new feature, I was simply told that the program had a trial period. (period!).

One good thing is, they run the same major version's number for several years.

4wd:
Edited : with GetDataBack, I see the deleted file, but size is 0 and it seems unrecoverable.-MerleOne (November 22, 2011, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, you're right.  The files I originally recovered were all below 4GB but I would have thought they'd realise that NTFS could have over a 4GB filesize.

I just tested a ~6.5GB ISO on a external 640GB USB3 drive, same result as you - it was recovered with 0 filesize.

I'm now trying it with the Systemic file system damage option...this will take a while, ~1.5 hours, but hopefully it will trace through the linking in the file blocks and come up with something - I'll let you know in a couple of hours.

One other factor, (may be relevant, may not), my original recovery was using an internal SATA connected drive.  I might see if that makes a difference.

Re: R-Studio, I can't comment on how effective it will be since I don't own it but maybe it would be a good idea to email them first, (and Runtime Systems also), asking specifically whether their software will recover a deleted 8GB file and whether they'll refund your money if it proves not to - at least that way you'll have an 'in writing' response from the company if it doesn't work.  Though some companies can still be a.......s about these things.

Addendum: A little searching turned up a couple of items, this post on the Sysinternals forum and this question on Superuser which pointed to it, (answer 2 used PhotoRec for a 4GB recovery - who knows, it might be able to do the job).

Short of it is, if the file's fragmented you might not be very lucky and with a multi-GB file this is probably going to be truer more often than not.

A suggestion, some DVB recording programs allow for the cutting of the recording into 1 or 2GB blocks, (to compensate for FAT limits), perhaps your software can do the same - this should make any accidental deletion a lot more recoverable.

ADDENDUM 2: You'll have to strike GetDataBack off your list, I couldn't even find the deleted 6.5GB file after its rather exhaustive analysis search of the filesystem.  That kind of restricts it to 4GB max I guess.

MerleOne:
Thanks @4wd for taking the time to investigate and for the very interesting links.  Got one answer from R-TT support forum.  Goto : http://forum.r-tt.com/issue-when-recovering-a-big-deleted-file-t6396.html

The manual inspection gives me reason to think I mght be able to recover it, or the next one I delete like this.

4wd:
It would be interesting to see if using PhotoRec and a identifier for the DVB transport stream could recover it.

Plus it's something that can be tried without laying money on the line.

I might give it a go with the same 6.5GB ISO and see what happens.

Well, it's only been running for 18 minutes, (with currently over an hour to go), but PhotoRec has managed to recover ~26GB of files including two DVB-T MPG format files of 6.32GB and 10.2GB.  Both files seem to be complete and are playable - pretty impressive so far considering those two files must have been deleted at least a week ago.

ADDENDUM: After 2.5 hours it's recovered 6481 files, (txt, jpg, mpg, avi, javascript, png, gif, mp3, ogg and more), over 40GB of data.
It didn't pick out the test file I put on there, (DVD video ISO), possibly because the file identifiers it uses couldn't precisely match a specific signature - unlike the two big MPGs, which were actually DVB-T transport streams, (.ts).  I probably could have specified a custom signature but frankly, if it can recover the two large files, (which was the primary query: large file recovery), I mentioned above at over a week or so since deletion and having had data written to the drive in the meantime......

I give it: 2 tums up  :up:  :up:

MerleOne:
It would be interesting to see if using PhotoRec and a identifier for the DVB transport stream could recover it.

Plus it's something that can be tried without laying money on the line.

I might give it a go with the same 6.5GB ISO and see what happens.

Well, it's only been running for 18 minutes, (with currently over an hour to go), but PhotoRec has managed to recover ~26GB of files including two DVB-T MPG format files of 6.32GB and 10.2GB.  Both files seem to be complete and are playable - pretty impressive so far considering those two files must have been deleted at least a week ago.

ADDENDUM: After 2.5 hours it's recovered 6481 files, (txt, jpg, mpg, avi, javascript, png, gif, mp3, ogg and more), over 40GB of data.
It didn't pick out the test file I put on there, (DVD video ISO), possibly because the file identifiers it uses couldn't precisely match a specific signature - unlike the two big MPGs, which were actually DVB-T transport streams, (.ts).  I probably could have specified a custom signature but frankly, if it can recover the two large files, (which was the primary query: large file recovery), I mentioned above at over a week or so since deletion and having had data written to the drive in the meantime......

I give it: 2 tums up  :up:  :up:
-4wd (November 23, 2011, 04:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely something to try !  Thanks.

Addendum: : I just had a quick run of PhotoRec.  It did recover many files, but for most of them it's garbage within, just as an exemple, a 500 MB file is seen as a link (.lnk).  Still, if it recovery the desired file, it would be nice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version