ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

FUNNY~! Drinking Water DOES NOT Hydrate!

<< < (5/10) > >>

jgpaiva:
From what I understand from the only information I read on the matter, this was actually an attempt to have the EU remove the laws that prevent manufacturers from writing their product cures all kinds of problems on its packing.
I think it was a clever trick, but I'm happy that the EU did this ruling, I don't think it'd be nice for us to have the packing of french fries saying they cure cancer.

[edit] obviously, Eóin had already said something similar to this in his previous posts, so just carry on  :-[ [/Edit]

40hz:
I'm happy that the EU did this ruling, I don't think it'd be nice for us to have the packing of french fries saying they cure cancer.
-jgpaiva (November 21, 2011, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very true, except for the fact that no French fry producer ever has, or is ever likely, to make such a claim.

Gotta be very cautious when you want to send a message you're serious about enforcing a piece of legislation. It's very important to carefully choose your test case. If you don't, you're wide open to public ridicule and outrage - which usually results in the law being widely flaunted or ignored. Take a look at "sexual harassment" "persons with disabilities" and many consumer protection laws. Ridiculous suits, and even more ridiculous court rulings on obviously bogus cases, have brought those very laws into question. Which is a shame. Because the problems those laws were passed to address are very real.
 :)

app103:
Actually it has more to do with sugar loaded soft drinks than water itself. Soft drink manufacturers do not want bottled water producers to make claims that they can not legally put on their own bottles. Unless Coca Cola can make matching health claims on their product, they don't want anyone else to state the obvious. To claim that water can prevent or treat dehydration on the packaging of your product is to say that water is better for you than sugar-loaded soda pop...

And we can't have that, because people will start drinking water instead of soda pop, and Coca Cola will unfairly suffer an economic loss. If a soft drink manufacturer can not make the same claim, based on the water content of their product (almost every beverage can prevent dehydration in the same way that water can, because most contain water) then it is an unfair advantage given to the bottled water producers. So, they have to punish the bottled water producers, disallow them to make the claim, and thereby preventing soda pop manufacturers to make the same claim, fooling the public into thinking that sugar-loaded soda pop is actually good for you and they should drink more of it without any guilt.

It also might lead people to believe that bottled water works better at preventing/treating dehydration than tap water, that somehow the water in the bottle has some sort of magical properties that tap water does not. After all, where is the label with the same health claims on your faucet? There is none.

I'm happy that the EU did this ruling, I don't think it'd be nice for us to have the packing of french fries saying they cure cancer.
-jgpaiva (November 21, 2011, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very true, except for the fact that no French fry producer ever has, or is ever likely, to make such a claim.
-40hz (November 21, 2011, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

But if they allow bottled water producers to claim it can prevent dehydration, what would stop the french fry maker from claiming their product can prevent low blood sugar, and then the ignorant consumer saying to themselves "Oh, I don't want low blood sugar to happen to me, so I better eat more french fries" and then eating themselves right into a case of Type 2 Diabetes, all the while thinking they were doing something healthy to themselves?.

Don't think that a french fry manufacturer wouldn't do that. Back in the 80's when everybody got cholesterol crazy and it was determined that liquid soybean oil didn't raise your cholesterol level the same as animal fats, butter, or margarine, the place where my husband worked, that deep fried everything, hung up a big sign advertising how their product was good for your heart, cooked in cholesterol-free soybean oil. And something like this should NEVER have a claim attached to it intended to try to fool the public into thinking that it is healthy and good for you!

Deozaan:
Unless Coca Cola can make matching health claims on their product, they don't want anyone else to state the obvious. To claim that water can prevent or treat dehydration on the packaging of your product is to say that water is better for you than sugar-loaded soda pop...

And we can't have that, because people will start drinking water instead of soda pop, and Coca Cola will unfairly suffer an economic loss.-app103 (November 22, 2011, 01:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure I believe that conspiracy theory, since Coca-Cola actually owns at least one bottled water company.

How's this for scary? List of Coca-Cola brandsw

capitalH:
Hmm, does this means next up they will ban sport car advertisers from advertising that it helps attract girls?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version