ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

FUNNY~! Drinking Water DOES NOT Hydrate!

<< < (2/10) > >>

Eóin:
Yeah seriously! Dehydration as a medical/biological state was obviously defined in such a way that the claim the water will cure it is not medically proven enough that companies can go around claiming their products are a cure.

The issue seems to be the dehydration is a symptom which can have causes other than simply not drinking enough. In such cases drinking water is not a cure. If you even just read to the end of the article you linked you'd have realised this. Companies shouldn't be allowed to make medical claims willy-nilly and the only way to stop them is through regulations.

But as usual people don't care about the actual case or the facts behind it, it's more fun to assume everyone else is stupid and if that means misrepresenting facts and outright lying most people are happy.

Deozaan:
So here's what I don't understand: Since drinking water so obviously helps to prevent dehydration, why do they feel the need to market bottled water as something that combats dehydration?

You don't need to specify in your marketing that a toaster toasts bread or that a coffee maker makes coffee or that a tea kettle boils water. Those features are obvious and it would be a waste of marketing space/time to point them out. It is more pertinent to point out features such as how many slices of bread the toaster can toast at once. Or perhaps that the slots are big enough to also toast bagels. Or perhaps the coffee maker plays your favorite song when the coffee is ready, or has a bigger pot than normal so it can brew much more coffee than the standard coffee maker. Or maybe the tea kettle changes colors to indicate the temperature of the water. Or maybe the speed at which it can get water boiling is noteworthy.

doctorfrog:
To quote two other commenters:

"The wonderful thing is, that after reading both the Daily Telegraph and the Daily Mail pronounce this as an absurdity, I am sure that the EU has ruled correctly.

And lo, the Guardian speaks sense, once again. I would be happy but for the knowledge that, like the lies over bendy bananas, boring pub cunts will still be prattling on about this in a decade's time."

"This kind of makes sense to me. "Water hydrates" would be a valid claim, but "water prevents dehydration" is problematic because dehydration is generally caused by factors that water can't prevent, like viral or bacterial infections."

This isn't so much about a governmental body picking nits, as it is about companies putting dopey misleading health claims on anything and everything. If a silly thing like water bottles is over legislated a bit to prevent pizza sauce as being declared a vegetable in children's lunch menus, it's a net gain.

Medical claims require scientific backing? My god what is the world coming to? The ignorance expressed in this thread is hilarious, yet expected.
-Eóin (November 20, 2011, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

This also.  

Eóin:
Yeah I was a bit surprised to see mention of the bendy bananas in the article when that was a lie in the first place.

fenixproductions:
Nothing surprising since carrot is fruit, snail is fish and banana must be sized properly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version