ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

hard drive resurrection [I'm desperate!]

<< < (5/8) > >>

f0dder:
As for Superboyac's problem, I note this from the GetDataBack website: "Recover even when Windows doesn't recognize the drive - GetDataBack can even recover your data when the drive is no longer recognized by Windows. It can likewise be used even if all directory information - not just the root directory- is missing."

Looks like it would be worth a closer look.
-Darwin (April 05, 2006, 10:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

It certainly is. Note that the drive has to be visible in BIOS an in "computer management" - otherwise it's likely a drive/driver issue. But windows doesn't have to "recognize" it, ie, even if the filesystem information is badly trashed, GetDataBack can work it's magic. I don't know if it's the best, but it's the best of the few I've tried, and it gave ~99% recovery when I had the ATi driver issues mentioned in the post above.

Hirudin:
I'm personally not a big fan of GetDataBack. It may recover the data, but it sucks at recovering the directories. The few times I've used it, it'll find the names of a few folders, but the rest is stuck into folders with names like "10493," "10494," "10495" etc. Oh, and it's $80, which is a little expensive for me.

On the other hand, the free data recovery program "PC Inspector: File Recovery" seems to do just as good a job with the data/files, it just sorts them into correctly named directories. And, did I mention it's free?

Cavalcader:
the free data recovery program "PC Inspector: File Recovery" seems to do just as good a job with the data/files-Hirudin (April 13, 2006, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
Very nice! Thanks for the link.  :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
So here's an update on my problem, I hope someone can help me with it:

I got an identical IBM 80GB hard drive from ebay (however, different P/N and different MLC, but everything else is the same).  I switched the circuit boards and I plugged my old dead hard drive back in the machine.  It spins now!  However, the BIOS can't detect the drive.  So I tried everything, different IDE cables, switching from cable select to master/slave configuration, but the BIOS can't detect the drive.

So, I switch the circuit board back to their own drives, and I take the new ebay drive, and plug it in, and the the bios can't detect it either!  Is it possible the ebay drive is bad also?  I hope not.

I take the drive back out and put in my normal slave drive, and the computer boots up fine, like usual.  I take my normal slave drive out and put the new ebay drive in it's place, and the bios can't detect it again.  It also gives a "boot failure" error, as if the boot sequence is all screwed up.

I don't know what else to do.  Next time I have some time, I'm going to stick the drive in another computer all by itself and see what happens.  Otherwise, I'd like to ask if any of you know someone who will recover the data for $200 or under.  If not, I just have to wait until I can spare the money.

Thanks.

f0dder:
Did you try the ebay drive *before* doing the PCB transplant?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version