ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Question re the verification process speed at the beginning of a Genie Backup

<< < (3/3)

Carol Haynes:
Great - different AVs have odd properties. I use NOD32 and find it has problems with some archived files - esp. if I have advanced heuristics enabled. Glad you got it sorted - it would explain why others didn't experience it too ;)

f0dder:
I can second your problems with on-demand virus scanners. I tend to turn them off temporarily when doing defrags or backups, it can speed up things TREMENDOUSLY. BitDefender (work) and NOD32 (home) are notoriously bad wrt. this.

Kaspersky is pretty good if you enable it's "NTFS streams" features, because it uses those streams to keep a cached "is this file good" check, boosting speed quite a bit. Unfortunately, KAV uses rootkit-like techniques to hide the presence of those streams, so using SysInternals Rootkit Revealer you'll get an insane amount of file discrepancies - I wish KAV had chosen a single central database instead.

At work, on-demand scanning isn't disabled... but the cheery ol' people there don't really notice it :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version