ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Experts opinion on very odd Camera -> Card -> File Copy corruptions

(1/4) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
I'm on Win7 Professional SP1 64bit, lots of RAM (don't laugh Nudone), and a SONY CyberShot camera.

After my recent short walk I have 3 16Gb SD cards full of photos, which I moved to my computer with MultiComander. The first two cards went flawlessly, but I've run into dreadful issues with the third, where the images are corrupt. Well, corrupt on the first copy/move (mostly).

What I did, which is what I've always done (maybe not any more though  :-[), is to move the files from the card to the computer. Some of the moved files ended up like this (reduced): Experts opinion on very odd Camera -> Card -> File Copy corruptions. The regularity of a file being corrupted increased during the move opperation (that is, it was maybe 1 in 20 at the beginning and 1 in 3 at the end). I may attach other examples, but some of them look they have multiple layers overwritten with mismatched origin points (ie offset). I used EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard 5.0.1 to recover the deleted (when moved) files, and mostly they seem to be OK: Experts opinion on very odd Camera -> Card -> File Copy corruptions. But sometimes the files are also corrupt on the card, iterestingly mostly different to the file that was moved, but the same as what was recovered. I also tried Recuva, but Recuva found 3169 files as Easeus found 9442 files, which seemed to give me greater ability to find a non-currupted file. BUT, what is also extremely odd is that sometimes the recovered file on the HDD is not the same as what is on the card, and when recovered individually.

Now, what that implies to me is:

* The original move produced some corrupted files. Caused by?

* MultiCommander?
* Windows?
* Hard Drive?
* The camera wrote corrupted files.

* Bad Card? But it's not consistent?
* Naughty camera? It's not the most perfect environment for a camera in the hot and cold, sometimes rain, and jolted when I fell over... But the timing of the corrupt files doesn't correspond with any of those events.
* The recovered files may not have been the final file the camera wrote? Maybe the camera used the card as a temporary storage when combining images?
* The recovered files are not named the same as what was moved, so I'm not sure what that means?  :huh:
If a JPEG expert is interested they can access the original, non-reduced, files for comparison here (warning - they are large files). When I edited them with IrfanView (eg to resize), IrfanView would complain that the file format was corrupt: extra data where it shouldn't be, or missing data; which to me sounds like the file has been written incorrectly (either by camera or software during the copy):

* DSC01272_bad.JPG
* 2011-10-17_11-11_FILE2171.JPG
I'm going through, slowly, and re-copying them when necessary and I think that in the end I should not have lost very many images (though with 9,500 I can afford to lose some and not be too upset  :-[), but the why of this problem is troubling me... anyone with any ideas?

The main lesson I learned is that Move as a file action is not the best idea when there are lots of files and it may be best to check first before removing them from the origin location (but in my defense: this is the first time that something like this has ever happened).

Perry Mowbray:
Here's another example:

Original Move:

IrfanView complained when saving after reducing:

Perry Mowbray:
and another:

which IrfanView complained:

rgdot:
I have seen similar to your screenshots (but not the JPEG errors) when the camera's CCD went bad when the camera was moved or jerked too much.

Perry Mowbray:
I have seen similar to your screenshots (but not the JPEG errors) when the camera's CCD went bad when the camera was moved or jerked too much.
-rgdot (November 11, 2011, 05:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

When actually taking the photo or after a serious jerk (bump)?

Generally I'm pretty steady when taking a photo (after long experimentation of long exposures without a tripod)...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version