ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Buzzsaw - free background HD defragmenter

<< < (2/2)

f0dder:
Yeah, it was DisKeeper, which seems to be highly overrated.

It would be interesting to do before-and-after shots of the fragmentation map and most-fragmented-files overview in PerfectDisk after running dirms/buzzaw (starting with a PD 100% defragged volume, of course).

Fragmap is a good overview, and filefrag gives pretty nice "hard data" :)

dpierron:
The advantage to buzzsaw is that it defrags as files are edited -- realtime defrag.
-allen (March 22, 2006, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's precisely what I dislike in this program... let me explain :

I read your post and I thought "cool, a realtime defrag tool ... my HDD will never get fragmented again!"
Then I tried and install Buzzsaw along with Dirms, and found out that it was a good set of tools (and free, moreover)

However, there is a price to pay : with a real-time defragmenter, the defragmentation time is paid by the user, in the form of slower access to its files, slower copy, etc... With a "classic" defrag tool (e.g. DiskKeeper, Norton, MS defrag), the defrag time can be setup to happen after hours (at night, or during lunch).
I configure DK to run in "screensaver mode", and it's been quite efficient (although I think a better defrag tool could do a better job, my laptop seems a bit slow).

Anyway, this was just my two cents : Dirms and Buzzsaw are great program nonetheless ;o)

f0dder:
DiskKeeper isn't that great - check out PerfectDisk instead.

skywalka:
I emailed DiskKeeper a couple years ago & suggested they add an option to defrag when the screensaver is active.

I never received a reply but when the next version of DiskKeeper came out (Surprise, Surprise!) my suggestion had be incorporated.  I think that's a bit rude!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version