ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

How I set up my mail folders

<< < (2/5) > >>

superboyac:
Ah!  Thanks mouser, that sounds like it might do the trick quite well.

Others...I doubt I will use google mail anytime soon, at least not using their web interface.  I already use it as a regular pop account.  I hate webmail with a passion.  I need to have the mail on my computer.

Mark0:
I too wasn't happy with any webmail service; they weren't simply non-comparable to a good email client and local message storage. But, for me, Gmail changed that.

Bye!

brotherS:
Others...I doubt I will use google mail anytime soon, at least not using their web interface. [...] I hate webmail with a passion. I need to have the mail on my computer.
-superboyac (January 14, 2006, 01:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
Believe me, I used to think exactly the same :D

Read the comments in this thread once more - then try it for a week or two. It's completely different, but REALLY great. I love to read and archive mails now by using keyboard shortcuts: NOONE came up with that idea before (at least I never saw it anywhere), now I saw other sites using something similar.

I admit: One needs to get used to Google Mail, because it's so much better than regular email clients. But after I got used to it, I don't want to miss it anymore!

jgpaiva:
(honestly,brotherS,I'm starting to feel bad,people will start to think we're hired by google or something like that,but no,we're just happy costumers :D)
Superboyac: IMO,storing e-mail in your own computer doesn't bring you much good..It's not only a waste of space,by needing outlook (or something else) and then a spam blocker,and an antivirus,and that big paraphernalia,just to see a few lines of text!
But it is also a waste of time, since you have to wait for the mails to be downloaded.
Plus,it's only a limitation: imagine you want to check your mail when not in your computer..You can allways go to the site and check it, but then, you need to have copies both in the computer and on the e-mail server..Seems like a waste,but that is not the only problem.
You cant see the mails you already sent.. (at least,i think so,i don't use mail in outlook or something like that for few years) And you don't have access to your contacts,unless you have them in both places (gee..setting them all up in both places? and then updating them? it seems like too much effort)
How about when you can't find that e-mail that has the password to a forum you haven't used for a few million years now? Well google it! Or just have a tag for logins,and search for it in there..
And there is one thing that has been forgotten (don't know if you use it brotherS,but i think you must),that is gmail's unique way of grouping mails..If you send a mail to someone and that person answers you,the received e-mail gets grouped with the one you sent,creating the unique concept of "conversations",so as you don't have the mails all spread though sent e-mails,archived e-mails,inbox,and whatever more folders you have created..
Honestly,what i'm trying to say is that gmail could revolutionize the way you e-mail.

Hirudin:
My biggest advice for e-mail: automatically delete mail that isn't sent to your address(es). I don't know how I get mail that doesn't have my e-mail address in the "recipients" field, but I do, and it's pretty much all spam.
There is one problem: you may loose mail sent to you because you're signed up to a mailing list. (The donationcoder mail comes through just fine though.)

I'm finially testing out The Bat, so far I like it. The filter possiblilties look good...

My 2¢ on the whole use Webmail or a Mail Client topic, here's my biggest gripe wit' webmail:
I don't like the idea of having my mail on a website, sorry. Google freely admits it scans YOUR mail in some kind of twisted, world dominating, marketing strategy.

I don't send a whole lot of personal e-mail (maybe because it's so impersonal...?), so that may make me an abnormal e-mail user, but here's a couple reasons why I think mail clients are better (or at least not worse) than webmail.

Sure, mail clients do use space on your hard drive, but it's very little. My entire mail backup uses <100mb (the oldest e-mail is from May 2002). 100mb is nothing; my proof? It's hard to even buy a flash drive that's less than 256mb! I don't know how much space spam blockers need, but I'd be willing to bet it's less than 0.1% of an 80gb hard drive (again, just about as small as you can buy these days). Also, hopefully you already have an antivirus. Again, it's true you have to wait for the mail to be downloaded. But you have to wait for the web page to be downloaded as well, seems like an even swap to me. And again, e-mails are small, they don't need much time to download, even if you're using dialup.
Every e-mail client that I can remember using does have a dedicated folder for "Sent mail." I know Pocomail has a "find" feature, I'd hope the rest do too.
I'm pretty sure most e-mail clients will group message threads together as well.

Sure, using an e-mail client does cut you off from your old e-mail and your contact list, but pretty much every email service has webmail too, so at least your new mail (arguably your most important mail) would be available. Then again, the only time I check my e-mail when I'm not home is when I'm dying to find out if something I just bought has been shipped or not.

One thing that's majorly restrictive with webmail is that you can only check one account at a time. If you have multiple accounts (from multiple services) webmail becomes infinitely less convienient.

And perhaps the biggest reason mail clients are better: competition! Don't like Outlook because everything Microsoft touches turns to shit*? Get pocomail! Don't like pocomail because they want to charge practically as much to upgrade as they charge NEW customers? Try The Bat! Find out The Bat is pulling a google and selling information from your personal email**? Get something else.
Almost all e-mail clients will let you import and export your mail and contact list, so you don't have to loose your old e-mail while changing clients. Show me webmail that will let you import mail, much less export it into something another website can use.

Rant over...

I have to say: the "tag" feature of g-mail does sound cool. I hope e-mail clients start copying it.

* - until about generation 7, when it becomes pretty good, but still not great
** - of course, this wouldn't fly in the software world

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version