ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Bill Gates, not Steve Jobs, is the real hero

<< < (3/5) > >>

zridling:
Jobs spent his entire life telling everyone he was the smartest guy in the world. Gates was pretty much a world class prick during his heyday, as are most spoiled rich people. At least as Renegade says, he's seen the bigger picture. Mother Teresa is like most god-believers to me -- their thinking is based on a psychosis that believes suffering and evil are good for you, and not something to be fought against. I like to think I'm better than that.

Stoic Joker:
Mother Teresa is like most god-believers to me -- their thinking is based on a psychosis that believes suffering and evil are good for you, and not something to be fought against. I like to think I'm better than that.-zridling (November 05, 2011, 06:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - I'm with ya there. But she did at least sincerely try to do the right/good things ... Even if some didn't necessarily end so well.

@wraith - Good point, agreed.

Carol Haynes:
Evidence that Gates was definitely brighter than Jobs when it comes to setting up a business:

Gates => licensed DOS and Windows to IBM => allowed other licensing => huge market place and profits

Jobs => locked in hardware and software => tiny market place => Nearly ended in liquidation

OK you could argue that the marketing ideas of the last few years turned that round somewhat (or at least a bit) but in the establishement of the companies they are known for Gates definitely made the smarter move.

wraith808:
I don't like people put as high-moral examples when they has a lot of issues behind their backs.
-fenixproductions (November 05, 2011, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't like people put as examples, high-moral or otherwise. 

Live with a man 40 years. Share his house, his meals. Speak on every subject. Then tie him up, and hold him over the volcano's edge. And on that day, you will finally meet the man.

--- End quote ---

I just like that quote :)  But seriously, how much do we know the people we are familiar with, let alone those we don't know personally?  For the longest time Tiger Woods was a role-model because he was seriously gifted at putting forth the right facade.  Now he is a pariah.  But the truth of the man is somewhere in the middle.  Our perceptions put him on a pedestal, and our perceptions brought him down.  When in the end, all he ever was was a man that knew how to hit a ball with a stick.

Mother Teresa is like most god-believers to me -- their thinking is based on a psychosis that believes suffering and evil are good for you, and not something to be fought against.
-zridling (November 05, 2011, 06:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

There we are with generalizations.  Most people that believe in God that I know of don't believe that suffering and evil are good for you, so there you go.  That's another side of the same problem IMO.  Instead of taking people for who they are or what they have done, we put labels on them as a whole or based on hearsay good or bad.  I just don't like it.

Renegade:
An observation - Mother Theresa comes up in this post about Bill Gates, but we don't have that reference in other posts about tech-gods. Interesting... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version