ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Bill Gates, not Steve Jobs, is the real hero

<< < (2/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Oh Jesus Christ, Seriously?!? Do we really need to slap a darkside on Mother Teresa? I mean damn... Who ever really lives up to their own hype when put under a spotlight??

Sure I (actually) pride myself on being a cynical atheistic, prick about "Organized Religion" ... I hate it with a passion ... But Mother Teresa was always one that (at least) seemed to be really trying to live up her own retoric. I kinda liked her ... Still do damn the facts/details.

wraith808:
I mean damn... Who ever really lives up to their own hype when put under a spotlight??
-Stoic Joker (November 05, 2011, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was my point.  Mother Theresa was put up as an example to which Jobs and Gates don't live up to, but she was human also.  There is no comparing people and their contributions.  Each person gives their own contributions, and the comparisons are useless, IMO, and the little details don't detract in any way from the good- they are two separate things.

Eóin:
Also didn't Mother Theresa's stance on artificial contraception have a big role to play on the spread of AIDs in Africa? In terms of ultimately having a good/bad impact on the world she is way way into the bad side of the scales.

fenixproductions:
I partially agree with wraith808 and understand that each human has bad times but... I don't like people put as high-moral examples when they has a lot of issues behind their backs. MT was not god, neither do SJ nor BG. They did some good and some bad deeds, all changed world somehow but what matters for me is total outcome. (Un)fortunately Bill made it on top amongst these three (for me).

tomos:
Going back to the thread title: "Bill Gates, not Steve Jobs, is the real hero" - the "hero" idea is BS imo - I think any attempt to make Gates a hero is just reacting to the glorification of Jobs.

Me, I believe any solution to the world's problems is in change/transformation of [absolutely lots of things - ways we think/act, structure of the financial world, etc.]. Anyone who makes a fortune, and then gives (even if it is generously) is not necessarily helping much. (I'm really not trying to knock Gates here.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version