ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Love WorkFlowy, hate web apps.. What to do?

<< < (3/5) > >>

tranglos:
The desktop is not in fashion I guess  :-\
-rgdot (November 05, 2011, 09:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

And that's too bad, because the browser sets us back 20 years or so in terms of usability - even if WorkFlowy does a lot of good stuff within that absurdly limiting environment.

And since (years ago) Hotmail deleted six months' worth of email from my then-fianceé just because I didn't log in to the account for a while, and since all the break-ins you read about every week, I won't trust anything worthwhile to an online service, ever.

DerekHal:
So my quest for a (desktop) outliner continued after a night sleep. Now I'm done.

If you go to Wikipedia > marktaw.com > Personal project planer you'll eventually end up at an open source application that I haven't been able to find mentioned anywhere else on the Internet.

The application is now called Planz. There is a interesting video on the website.

It remains to be checked out. Hopefully, this is a what Tranglos is looking for.

tranglos:
What IQ version are you using ? There was a compatibility problem with IE 9 and some of the components IQ uses. The last build solves that problem AFAIK.
Otherwise, I really don't see what could be the problem as I've never seen anyone complain about that in the forums -- apart from the IE9 compatibility problem.
-Armando (November 05, 2011, 12:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Armando! I was using InfoQube0.9.25W1Portable. What happened was that I would click New -> New IQBase with sample data, and as soon as the file was loaded and I tried to resize the two panels, the application would freeze like this:

Love WorkFlowy, hate web apps.. What to do?

...and it would stay like that until I killed the process. (The title bar message is Windows saying "no response")

This does not seem to occur in the latest build, thanks for that!

Your list of how InfoQube handles pretty much all my requirements and nice-to-have's is amazing! I'll be giving it a try.

Curt:
The application is now called Planz. -DerekHal (November 06, 2011, 06:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not updated for 1½ year, and the forum is not working
probably because of...:

Give Planz a Try but Remember…

Above all, remember that Planz is a prototype, not a product.-Planz
--- End quote ---

Armando:
Hi Armando! I was using InfoQube0.9.25W1Portable. What happened was that I would click New -> New IQBase with sample data, and as soon as the file was loaded and I tried to resize the two panels, the application would freeze like this:
-tranglos (November 06, 2011, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, exactly. I'm still on XP so I never experienced that. Good to know that was the problem.

Your list of how InfoQube handles pretty much all my requirements and nice-to-have's is amazing! I'll be giving it a try.
-tranglos (November 06, 2011, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I think it handles pretty much all your requirements and much more. However, you can really use it like a simple one pane outliner and don't bother with all the other features (equations, calendar, etc.). Many many things are configurable in the options and in other menus -- which is both good and bad, depending on your perspective and needs...

I've been using it for almost... 4 years ! and still am. Note that a few things are still unfinished (the calendar, mostly, and some features haven't been implemented yet. The UI is supposed to be rethought to ease filter use.)

A couple suggestions :
- start to build your DB with the Sample DB. NOT the blank one.  It's much easier to understand the basic principles if you start with the sample.
- you can probably figure the software by yourself, but I'd say that sections 2.05 and mostly 2.06 of the manual will help you understand IQ's basic principle (it covers what are grids, items and fields and how IQ basically works).

What are those basic principles ? Mainly that the grids just show items depending on chosen filters. Items don't belong to grids. Hence, you can have a DB full of items but don't see any in any grids because you haven't set the right filters in your grids (To see those filters in a grid, just press alt-s : here's the "source" bar.)

Here's an excerpt of section 2.05 :

1- All the information in IQ is stored in a database.

2- In the database, there are multiple items which can have different characteristics.

3- These items characteristics are recorded in fields

4- Items and fields are displayed/showed in grids (tables) : the items are displayed as rows, the fields are columns. (Note : we won't go into the details of a grid for now, but... let's just say that grid isn't like a traditional folder : an item doesn't "belong" to a grid as it can show any item that meets certain filter criteria. We'll learn about filters later.)

So, to summarize :  we usually talk about items (rows) and their fields (columns) inside a grid (table).

--- End quote ---

Don't hesitate to ask questions in the forum or here.

IMO, IQ's basic principles are simple, but there are so many ways to achieve stuff that it can get complex. Especially when you use functions and try to filter out/in items in a grid, etc., as you can either do that through the columns headers or through the source bar (alt-s)... or through both, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version