topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [Windows, shareware] TreeProjects: organize your information  (Read 9311 times)

yaroslavp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[Windows, shareware] TreeProjects: organize your information
« on: February 14, 2012, 05:04 AM »
Hi DonationCoder,

I'm Yaroslav, the developer of TreeProjects, a personal database and personal information manager. When you work on a project, do research, plan a trip, or simply work on your computer long enough, you usually find yourself accumulating snippets of information in various forms. These may be notes, ideas, chat transcripts, pictures, web pages, Office or PDF files. Usually they will be lying around in your "Documents" folder or subfolder, the contained information will not be easy to looked at, be found, and be organized.

TreeProjects aims to be the solution to this problem. It stores all your notes and files in a single compact and portable database file, can instantly search, display, remind about, and organize them in various ways that are not possible with simple file storage. I tried hard to make the program not only powerful, but also quick and intuitive.

TreeProjects works on Windows XP, Vista and Seven, 32-bit or 64-bit. To take a better look at TreeProjects, please visit its website at http://personaldatabase.org . Also, on the 16th of February, TreeProjects will be featured on BitsDuJour ( http://www.bitsdujou...ftware/treeprojects/ ) where the program will be offered at a 60% discount - so don't miss the deal.

--Yaroslav

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [Windows, shareware] TreeProjects: organize your information
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 05:22 AM »
Welcome at DonationCoder, Yaroslav. Have fun here :)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:55 AM »
Welcome and thanks Yaroslav  :up:

insert_nick

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • @insert_nick
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:20 AM »
As a happy KeyNote NF user, I know how valuable is your software, and it seems very well done. TreeProjects should be able to quickly and easily transform KeyNote NF stuff into a TreeProjects database, otherwise considering a software change will be hard for anyone with a lot of notes.

yaroslavp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 05:27 AM »
@insert_nick: Yes, at the moment TreeProjects cannot import data from other similar programs. If the other program exports the data as files, however, TreeProjects can import the folder and will try to recreate the items based on the file type, which may (or may not) be close to the original database.

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 06:59 AM »
TreeProjects should be able to quickly and easily transform KeyNote NF stuff into a TreeProjects database, otherwise considering a software change will be hard for anyone with a lot of notes.
Keynote has some kind of RTF file export, export and import RTF files into TreeProjects.
If that wouldn't work for you, export from Keynote to Treepad format, then use Ultrarecall to import Treepad, export to RTF files and import those into TreeProjects. Or maybe open the Treepad format directly in Treepad and export to RTF - I don't remember whether Treepad has RTF export, but it should.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:14 PM »
If the other program exports the data as files, however, TreeProjects can import the folder and will try to recreate the items based on the file type, which may (or may not) be close to the original database.

Have you considered adding the ability to import and export delimited files?  Perhaps you know Horst Schaeffer's MemPad.  It has the ability to do with a simple text file structure.  The number of delimiters indicates the level of the current node.  As an example, here is part of my "Music" section.  Compare the screenshot with the text (I removed blank lines and most of the body text to save space).  This seems to me a particularly good and simple system, as it should make it fairly easy to move data between applications.  I don't want to get trapped in something that doesn't allow easy transfer.

MemPad_Screenshot - 15_02_2012 , 21_52_22.png
‡ Music
‡‡ Anon.
‡‡‡ Dufay Collective
The Dufay Collective: The Recordings
[ body text ]
‡‡‡ Pilgrimage to Montserrat
Pilgrimage to Montserrat
Anon — Los set goyts recomptarem
Performer: Hesperion XX
‡‡ Brahms
‡‡‡ Horn Trio, Op.40
Brahms
Horn Trio, Op.40
Played on Radio 3 Classical Collection, Tue 14 Dec 2010, 11.27
‡‡‡ Scherzo in E flat minor Op.4 for piano
Johannes Brahms — Scherzo in E flat minor Op.4 for piano
Performer: Alexander Melnikov - Piano
‡‡ Chopin
‡‡‡ 12 Studies Op.10 for piano - No.12 in C minor
Frédéric Chopin — 12 Studies Op.10 for piano - No.12 in C minor: 'Revolutionary study'
‡‡ Grieg
‡‡‡ String Quartet No 2 in F
Grieg, compl. Julius Rontgen: String Quartet No 2 in F
Raphael Quartet
‡‡ Jegede, Tunde
Tunde Jegede — Lamentation
Performer: Solstice String Quartet
‡‡ Karlowicz, Mieczyslaw
‡‡‡ Stanislaw and Anna of Oswiecim - symphonic poem (Op.12)
Night Waves, 12/05/2010,  05:41AM
‡‡ Khachaturian, Aram
‡‡‡ Gayane
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:59 AM by rjbull, Reason: corrected typo »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:40 AM »
Hello Yaroslav,

I am just entering the "market" for these Tree Databases. I did a first round comparison a while ago, but since you're a DC member I'll have to look at TreeProjects!

Edit: This is just not advanced enough for my usage. TreeDBNotes is my current front runner.

Killer feature for me in that and a couple other programs: Export as html web book with dynamic javascript.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:18 PM by TaoPhoenix »