ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Add "Notes" tab to File/Folder Properties, right after Customize...

<< < (2/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
Glad you found it useful.  :)

db90h:
Agreed on necessity for the need for such an app, but it needs to be more accessible, as in a shell (explorer) extension that allows for viewing and editing comments right there in the explorer folder view. I often make a file that contains notes in the filename, using a special char to make sure, when sorted ascending alphabetically, it is at the top.

MilesAhead:
Agreed on necessity for the need for such an app, but it needs to be more accessible, as in a shell (explorer) extension that allows for viewing and editing comments right there in the explorer folder view. I often make a file that contains notes in the filename, using a special char to make sure, when sorted ascending alphabetically, it is at the top.
-db90h (November 02, 2011, 11:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I abandoned the Shell Extension approach entirely.  It's too much hassle to get at the property page tab. I haven't tried file managers that have comment functionality built in.  So I don't know how it is to use one. But I know from themes and other Explorer modification things I've tried that it's not the fun way to go.  You get down to that low a level and everything will change with the next Windows flavor.  That's why themes that modify Explorer are all keyed to OS version and service pack level.

Not to mention that every compile cycle you have to kill Explorer to make it let go of the file before you can recompile. It's just a nightmare to no gain.

When I first started doing this it was for Win98.  The fact that what you suggest hasn't been done in all these years indicates there's no good way to do it.

But if someone wants to sponsor research I'd gladly take another go for a $10,000 stipend.

db90h:
But if someone wants to sponsor research I'd gladly take another go for a $10,000 stipend.
-MilesAhead (November 02, 2011, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

As a low-level Windows programmer myself -- So would I, lol ;). In fact, I'll take $9,000 ;p

db90h:
Joking aside, which I assume you were joking about a $10k sponsor, as I've been doing things wrong if those are common...

The explorer COM based extension interface has become increasingly robust, and I have not had a need to study it, but I did see an application that demonstrated functionality similar to what would be required here to put it in the folder view instead of properties... suggesting it might be possible, though maybe require a bit of creative thinking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version