ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hard drive shortage

(1/19) > >>

xtabber:
Last month, Newegg was selling a Western Digital Black 2TB drive for $129.99 with free shipping.  Today, that same drive is selling for $229.99 plus $7.28 shipping!

Most of WD's factories have been shut down by flooding in Thailand, and since many of the components used by other manufacturers come from the same industrial parks in the Bangkok area, the cost of all hard disks is expected to soar for the foreseeable future.

f0dder:
Most of WD's factories have been shut down by flooding in Thailand, and since many of the components used b other manufacturers come from the same industrial parks in the Bangkok area, the cost of all hard disks is expected to soar for the foreseeable future.-xtabber (October 27, 2011, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Especially since people have begun stockpiling.

Glad I got my server replacement drive before the flood!

40hz:
The prices will probably soar only until people stop buying them. It's not like you'll starve to death if you can't get a cheap new hard drive. You either bite the bullet if you absolutely need one, or put off upgrading if you don't. 
 8)

Krishean:
I'm not sure if Seagate was affected, but I'm glad I built my NAS and upgraded my gaming machine before the prices went up.

Stoic Joker:
You either bite the bullet-40hz (October 27, 2011, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's best avoided me thinks, as it's hard on your teeth and they taste like shit. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version