ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Keeping track of software license/serial keys

<< < (5/9) > >>

rjbull:
One of the nice things about AnyPassword (which doesn't interfere with RoboForm as the free version isn't automatic) is that the fiedls have a single click to copy to the clipboard function.
-Carol Haynes (March 19, 2006, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

CarolHaynes,

One of the nice things about KeePass is that it can enter the data without accidentally copying it to a clipboard enhancer, that is, it apparently understands at least some clipboard enhancers and circumvents them (at least, that's the effect).  I certainly don't see the data appearing in the free version of ClipCache.  On the other hand, KeePass is meant for storing just passwords/logon data, not registration information: and the avoid-the-clipboard trick is probably more important for day-to-day logons than rare and occasional (we hope) re-entering of program registration details.

I suppose one could use DS Software's PassPack, which just gives you an encrypted note, and store the emails.  It's tiny, free, and stores data in one small file, but it wouldn't have many convenience features.

vamp07:
Yeah I do keep a copy of my gmail offline. As good as I am about doing backups trust gmail more.

rjbull:
superboyac,

I keep all my licenses in my notetaking program
-superboyac (March 19, 2006, 12:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

But as I have said elsewhere, the number of notetaking applications is approaching astronomical.  What are you going to do when your current favourite is superceded?  It probably won't be easy to convert from one format to another.

superboyac:
superboyac,
But as I have said elsewhere, the number of notetaking applications is approaching astronomical.  What are you going to do when your current favourite is superceded?  It probably won't be easy to convert from one format to another.
-rjbull (April 05, 2006, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

True, true.  I've thought about that.  Here's what I'm thinking, if ever I need to transfer my notes elsewhere, most of these notetaking programs have SOME kind of export feature.  Now, they may not be that helpful in the sense that it can go directly from program to program, but I'm hoping that once  the notes are exported, they can be processed somehow with a little bit of work to be imported into whatever the new program I have chosen.  Yeah, it's a pain, but that's how I prefer it right now.

Keepass looks cool, I need to check it out.

rjbull:
I'm hoping that once  the notes are exported, they can be processed somehow with a little bit of work to be imported into whatever the new program I have chosen.  Yeah, it's a pain
-superboyac (April 05, 2006, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

As I have also said elsewhere, anyone who wants to be a Software Hero of the People should write a notetaking file conversion program  :)  Something of the sort should be possible, no doubt with limitations.  The author of Jot+ Notes offers his registered users a free-standing tool to convert numerous other formats into Jot+ format.  Export to text file and re-import may be possible, but I suspect with a lot of work.

KeePass seems to me a good and useful tool, as long as you accept that it's narrowly-focussed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version