ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wikileaks says financial 'blockade' could put it out of business

<< < (2/5) > >>

40hz:
You may shut down Wikileaks but you can't stop the leaks.
-nosh (October 24, 2011, 11:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't be too sure.

As long as the leaks continue to fall on largely deaf ears - and the penalties inflicted on those who choose to go public continue to increase - a point will be reached where 'leaking' is no longer an effective tool. At which point it will follow, into oblivion, so many other forms of non-violent protest.

It's a shame, really.  :(

nosh:
Fair enough.

Social media has been around for what? 10 years? The internet (in its mass-reach avatar) for a little longer. I'm guessing all these unrelated concerns: organizations violating personal privacy, rampant online piracy, wikileaks and similar organizations exposing state secrets, botnets for sale, organized CC theft, etc - are pushing us all in one direction -> serious internet regulation. I wonder what things will be like in another 50-60 years...

Renegade:
...Guess we know who's really in-charge now, huh?-Stoic Joker (October 24, 2011, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

So true. In case you missed this article everywhere online last week:
http://boingboing.net/2011/10/22/densely-linked-cluster-of-147-companies-control-40-of-worlds-total-wealth.html
-zridling (October 24, 2011, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Jeez... That's crazy. Scary. And pretty much validates most conspiracy theories...

Renegade:
...are pushing us all in one direction -> serious internet regulation. I wonder what things will be like in another 50-60 years...
-nosh (October 25, 2011, 12:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think this is the part where I say, thank god I'll be dead by then. Still, I'm curious... I suppose I'll try to stick around that long anyways, just to see... y'know... just for the sake of interest. :)

nosh:
Yeah, and you really don't wanna miss out on Tru-3D p0rn!  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version