ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What happens after a Cloud changes Types?

<< < (2/5) > >>

steeladept:
The funniest part to me about the rant is it is totally pointless.  Yes, mahesh2k is right, they are consolidating all their services under one, G+ account for each person.  You either use G+ or you don't - no independent gmail, Google+, GReader, Google Docs, etc. - just one account access to everything.  They NEVER (well so far) force any of the services on to you, just the single logon that grants access to all services or none.

My biggest complaint here is the HUGE rant they put out on it being incorporated into the G+ family of services, but NOTHING on the FORCED account creation required to use an Android device.  WTF?  Why should they care if I have an account or not to use my friggin' phone?!?  If I WANT to use the Google Services with my phone, that is one thing, but incorporating it and forcing me to have an account just to get my phone to work?  No outcry there though...just an outcry because it is linking gReader with Google+ et. al.  You already have the stupid account, what's the big deal?  Whatever....

nosh:
The revamp shouldn't bother most people.

Louis Gray (G+ evangelist, hired by Google) said:

To clarify, Google Reader remains a stand-alone product. What is being announced is threefold: 1) Addition of sharing to Google+. 2) A new modern design. 3) Retiring of the dedicated sharing model.

This statement ( It will be impossible to use Google Reader as a standalone product) is incorrect. You can continue reading your feeds in Reader independent of Google+.
--- End quote ---

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/10/20/2250246/google-readers-social-features-merging-with-google

wraith808:
^ +1.  I think it only makes sense if you have social features, leverage those, instead of having duplicates in other products.

40hz:
I think it will only be a problem if you are required to have the G+ "social" rather than just the basic gmail account in order to get any other service from Google.

Nice move if it will. Google just force converted every current gmail user to G+ if they want to keep using it. Instant acceptance. Much like the old practice of marching conquered pagan villages en masse through the nearest river while a priest stood in the middle administering quick baptisms. Christianity gained a huge number of "willing" converts that way.

Sometimes, the more things change the more they stay the same.  :-\

wraith808:
I think it will only be a problem if you are required to have the G+ "social" rather than just the basic gmail account in order to get any other service from Google.
-40hz (October 24, 2011, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's not a difference, really.  Not much of one in any case- it's just activated services...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version