ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon Signs Up Authors, Writing Publishers Out of Deal

<< < (24/27) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I think your reasoning to put the residual library facilities back into local hands sounds good, but I suspect that it's financially not an option.
So it's sell the property and throw the books away.
-IainB (January 09, 2012, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

In the case of our local library it housed in a building owned by the town council - so giving the library to the town would mean it could stay where it is. We have a right wing local authority and I suspect there is ideology in the decisions being made as well as trying to find a financial cut.

Was visiting a client yesterday who had to go and have an X-Ray - because of cutbacks in the nearest hospital (probably about 35 miles away) he had to drive 60 miles to the next nearest hospital (so a 120 mile round trip to check for an X-Ray). There is also no public transport to get you to the hospital so if you have an illness that means you can't drive you are really stuffed without someone being prepared to drive 120 miles and sit around for hours!

IainB:
In the case of our local library it housed in a building owned by the town council - so giving the library to the town would mean it could stay where it is. We have a right wing local authority and I suspect there is ideology in the decisions being made as well as trying to find a financial cut.

Was visiting a client yesterday who had to go and have an X-Ray - because of cutbacks in the nearest hospital (probably about 35 miles away) he had to drive 60 miles to the next nearest hospital (so a 120 mile round trip to check for an X-Ray). There is also no public transport to get you to the hospital so if you have an illness that means you can't drive you are really stuffed without someone being prepared to drive 120 miles and sit around for hours!
-Carol Haynes (February 11, 2012, 05:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
From what you write, I don't see what the ideology might be. Can you elucidate?
It (the ideology) doesn't make sense to me, as it stands, unless it is deliberate, in order to force people to move to high density population centres as per my quote:
So, the provision of non-statutory healthcare and non-essential services are being progressively rationalised and centralised to points in or near relatively high-density population centres.
That is probably likely to encourage a human migration out of the small towns/villages to the nearest city. They could become ghost towns/villages over time.
-IainB (January 09, 2012, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
What you say about your client's X-ray travel would seem to support that - i.e., it could well be deliberate.

Carol Haynes:
From what you write, I don't see what the ideology might be. Can you elucidate?
-IainB (February 11, 2012, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Simply the removal of public financed services.

WRT to health care there is a move by the UK 'government' to ditch the NHS (or at least large parts of it) and introduce private health care providers. Their ultimate (if unstated) aim appears to be an American style health insurance system. God help us!

kyrathaba:

Emphasis added:
Their ultimate (if unstated) aim appears to be an American style health insurance system. God help us!
--- End quote ---

You got that right! Our system is atrocious!

kyrathaba:
Regarding Amazon Kindle, I looked briefly at Kindle Writer software, but finally got over my laziness and just figured out how to author the requisite .opf and .ncx files. If anyone needs a template for starting your own Kindle book, you can PM me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version