ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon Signs Up Authors, Writing Publishers Out of Deal

<< < (2/27) > >>

cranioscopical:
But editorial review - having a knowledgeable and literate person… -40hz
--- End quote ---

Couldn't agree more!

Do you remember when an error in the newspaper caused an outcry?

Off topic a bit (who me?) but one thing that really annoys me is a library book containing errors that someone has corrected, in ink, by crossing out the offending part and writing in the correct form.

cyberdiva:
Thanks, 40hz, for your very thoughtful and scary posting.  I was going to quote short passages that I thought were particularly good, but I found that I'd be quoting almost the entire message!   :up: 

wraith808:
Right now, Amazon is playing a very dangerous game. In that they are now setting themselves up as business rivals to existing publishers, Amazon could soon find itself out of the book market if all the big players decided to pull and go exclusively with Nook or Apple.
-40hz (October 17, 2011, 07:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not as dangerous as it may seem.  This isn't truly new- only the level of organization put to it is a new factor.  Both Amazon and Barnes and Noble (and other outlets also) have had a self-publishing arm for a while.  The recruitment and support put behind it are new factors, but just an incremental one, not revolutionary, and I don't think there's danger because of that factor.

JavaJones:
Or, optimistically speaking, the editors will go freelance or have editing companies of their own, the outdated and unnecessary dead tree publishers will die over the next 15 years, and we'll be left with a leaner, meaner system that's just as good at creating quality work but is also higher bandwidth. Mass voting and review output from readers will decide what succeeds. Yes, this means absolute bullshit could well be the most popular and make the most money. That's just down to the nature of modern society, possibly even human nature, but the underlying systems are - in my opinion - still better. Potential for less restriction, less bureaucracy, etc, etc. Then again it could all go to crap. ;)

- Oshyan

Renegade:
Or, optimistically speaking, the editors will go freelance or have editing companies of their own, the outdated and unnecessary dead tree publishers will die over the next 15 years, and we'll be left with a leaner, meaner system that's just as good at creating quality work but is also higher bandwidth. Mass voting and review output from readers will decide what succeeds. Yes, this means absolute bullshit could well be the most popular and make the most money. That's just down to the nature of modern society, possibly even human nature, but the underlying systems are - in my opinion - still better. Potential for less restriction, less bureaucracy, etc, etc. Then again it could all go to crap. ;)
-JavaJones (October 17, 2011, 07:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I need to disagree on one tiny thing...

Yes, this means absolute bullshit could well will be the most popular and make the most money.
-JavaJones (October 17, 2011, 07:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I cite as my source of disagreement the brilliant prediction for the future (which is often thought of as entertainment):

;D :P

It's got electrolytes!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version