ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR not a commonly downloaded program?

<< < (3/7) > >>

db90h:
There is no mystery. Sign your software. This is not 1999 anymore. What Microsoft has been trying for years to do is strongly encourage software vendors to obtain digital code signing certificates (authenticode). The preference would be for all software to be digitally signed by a cert issued via a trusted CA. I already explained to mouser the benefits of having a cert, there are many.

PROTEST LOUDLY -- this is not ok.
--- End quote ---

Try if you want, but sooner or later you will be forced to get a digital certificate ;p. One year of a digital cert costs less than one month of your hosting costs... So, what is the hold up? You do have proper documentation on DC, I assume? Registered as a business?

db90h:
Wouldn't this be a good one to add to the falsepositivereport forum
(as discussed here on dc - The False Positive and Improperly Rated Site Epidemic)
??

Maybe under False Positives / Microsoft
-tomos (October 15, 2011, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, sorry ;o. Not this time. This is not a false positive. It is a different sort of problem, and I'm not saying it isn't a problem.

Bottom line is that we are moving (slowly) to an age where all software is digitally signed. This has become the only way to deal with the malware epidemic. That way certs can earn 'trust' based on the software they've signed in the past.

They are NOT that expensive these days, though still not cheap. They used to cost many times more, so at least they have gone down in price. They are also a PITA to get, but not that bad if you have your documentation in order and they can verify it.

db90h:
Also, if mouser were to obtain a cert, he could sign other author's freeware with it ... Just FYI ... In fact, THAT may be one of the best ways in which DC grows, allowing freeware authors a way to have their software signed and authenticated as 'good', without having to buy a cert of their own.

wraith808:
How much is the cert?   Maybe we can hold a special DC fundraiser to cover the cost?

db90h:
How much is the cert?   Maybe we can hold a special DC fundraiser to cover the cost?
-wraith808 (October 15, 2011, 07:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Like $79-$100 a YEAR (approx).. there is no reason for anyone not to have one. And no reason to need a fund raiser to get one since this is only 1/4 of the supposed monthly operational costs of DC. But, whatever works for you guys.

Yes, you could go find more expensive certs to buy, but I already told mouser last month where to buy cheap certs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version