ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can anyone help? Windows 7 permissions

<< < (2/4) > >>

mwb1100:
Unfortunately DriverSweeper also removed the packaged drivers from MS for ATI and nVidia and SP 1 now wnon't install because preinstalled drivers are missing (even thoigh they aren't being used).
-Carol Haynes (October 13, 2011, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you tried to perform a 'repair' installation of Windows to get the packaged drivers back?  I think that's the course of action that Microsoft would suggest.

Stoic Joker:
He's got (good) a point ^there^.

Stoic Joker:
Strange. I just tried creating a folder in my System32 folder, and it let me (its owner was/is also TrustedInstaller).

mwb1100:
Strange. I just tried creating a folder in my System32 folder, and it let me (its owner was/is also TrustedInstaller).
-Stoic Joker (October 13, 2011, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

On my system (Win7 x64), Adminstrators have pretty nearly full access to C:\Windows\System32 in general, even if though it's owned by TrustedInstaller. The security settings for objects under the C:\Windows directory is quite a mish-mash because historically it's been used as a dumping ground for all sorts of files - many of which had nothing to do with Microsoft. But MS still feels the need to maintain some level of compatibility with those historical mistakes/oversights.

So for example, many folders and files may have stricter permissions.  c:\Windows\winsxs (note - it's not under System32 on my machine, maybe it is on some?) has only read permissions for everyone other than TrustedInstaller. And on my machine, c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository is pretty much read-only for everyone except "SYSTEM", even though it's owned by the Administrators group.

Stoic Joker:
-Stoic Joker (October 13, 2011, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

On my system (Win7 x64), Adminstrators have pretty nearly full access to C:\Windows\System32 in general, even if though it's owned by TrustedInstaller. The security settings for objects under the C:\Windows directory is quite a mish-mash because historically it's been used as a dumping ground for all sorts of files - many of which had nothing to do with Microsoft. But MS still feels the need to maintain some level of compatibility with those historical mistakes/oversights.

So for example, many folders and files may have stricter permissions.  c:\Windows\winsxs (note - it's not under System32 on my machine, maybe it is on some?) has only read permissions for everyone other than TrustedInstaller. And on my machine, c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository is pretty much read-only for everyone except "SYSTEM", even though it's owned by the Administrators group.
-mwb1100 (October 13, 2011, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Understood, and here also on both x86 & x64. My quandry was more regarding why Carol couldn't create the folders she needed to in the same location.

But despite the creative ideas 40hz & I came up with, I think you're right about the repair install being the simplest/best answer. ...We just got busted over-thinking the problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version