ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone got an iPad and like it?

<< < (7/10) > >>

Carol Haynes:
well a netbook is not a mobile device-lotusrootstarch (October 13, 2011, 07:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Scratches head? Odd I almost never use my netbook in my house - I must be doing something wrong?

lotusrootstarch:
Netbooks are small notebooks that offer neither true processing power or genuine portability/mobility.

They are losing market shares quickly to Apple/Android tablets for very good reasons -- such neither here nor there devices are not really sought after.

4wd:
They are losing market shares quickly to Apple/Android tablets for very good reasons -- such neither here nor there devices are not really sought after.-lotusrootstarch (October 13, 2011, 07:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Except by people who want them because they offer so much more than what a tablet can provide, eg. Capture, edit and encode video, (both DVB-T and DV), geotag/organise photos, (I'm not talking a couple of hundred, ~40,000 @ 116GB).

All of which I do using my lowly netbook - sure it takes a while to encode video but since I'm not about to drag my 20kg desktop, (plus monitor), overseas and the netbook, (and all the peripherals), weighs ~2kg it's a no-brainer.

For me, a netbook or notebook, (up to around 13"), will win every time.

Sure, if all I wanted to do was stare at email, browse the web and read a book then maybe I'd buy a tablet....but since I do all that on my Android phone, (as a bonus, it makes phone calls!), there's no reason for me to waste that much money on something that's more limited and cost a lot more than a netbook.

As with almost everything, it's all subjective.

I didn't see any of that when we bought it. Other plans we saw were idiotically expensive. The device was far more, and the plan was the same as regular phone plans. I gave up there. -Renegade (October 13, 2011, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Let's see, you only bought it a couple of months ago, IIRC, and I've been using that SIM for almost a year.........your Google-fu is weak  :P

Phonechoice - Selection 16/17 below sponsors section.

wraith808:
OK so I am confused what is the difference between background tasking and multitasking? On that basis music playing while you do something else is also a background task.
-Carol Haynes (October 13, 2011, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Music playing *is* a background task. :)  And the iPad can do that (as can the iPhone).  I'm actually blurring the terms intentionally, because they do overlap in terms of operational and functional use.  Multitasking in terms of actual use is the situation that Renegade describes above, where you have applications open in the foreground and interacting with each other, either directly, or through your actions.  There are degrees of this, and that's what fools us in a lot of cases, i.e. you have overlapping windows, and one the window in the back is still running- but I'd still term this a background task for the terms of actual usefulness.  The interface is a bit more useful in terms of being able to move around windows- but that to a large extent falls under the reference category I separated above.

The key iSpeak to me is:

Most applications are not taking up system resources when running in the background and instantly launch when you return to them.
--- End quote ---

How can a 'multitasking' application use no resources? Ridiculous!
-Carol Haynes (October 13, 2011, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Note the *most*.  Many of Apple's apps can still work while in the background as a background task.  They don't give this ability to other apps intentionally.  Battery life, and applications that don't play well with others are two of the primary reasons.  It really *can* truly multitask on the by and by- if you jailbreak, you set it free to do so.

Carol Haynes:
It really *can* truly multitask on the by and by- if you jailbreak, you set it free to do so.
-wraith808 (October 13, 2011, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have not doubt that is true - but iSpeak is truly disingenuous saying that the iPad multitasks by any normal definition of the work as supplied.

Given Apple's track record of deliberate 'bricking' is it really sensible to jailbreak such an expensive device?

Battery life, and applications that don't play well with others are two of the primary reasons.
-wraith808 (October 13, 2011, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

That may be a fair point if Apple didn't actually sell those products direct to the consumer - given they get 30% of every sale shouldn't they check apps play nice and work properly?

Other operating systems don't seem to take this approach AFAIK!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version