ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone got an iPad and like it?

<< < (6/10) > >>

wraith808:
Example - I get lots of emails so open email app to download latest bunch of crap and then go and do something else while I am waiting - like surf the internet or read a book .....

-Carol Haynes (October 13, 2011, 12:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not multi-tasking... that's background tasking, and the iPad will do that.

Carol Haynes:
OK so I am confused what is the difference between background tasking and multitasking? On that basis music playing while you do something else is also a background task.

Given that a human can only physically do one thing at a time but the computer can juggle a number of things what would you consider multitasking?

Apple obviously doesn't know either because they seem to see it the same way that I see it and suggest the iPad can't actually multitask (even though they use iSpeak to suggest it does in a very limited way) - it just suspends things when you do something else, apart from special cases like music playing, and allow immediate relaunch when you need them.

Here is Apple's explanation: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4211

The key iSpeak to me is:

Most applications are not taking up system resources when running in the background and instantly launch when you return to them.
--- End quote ---

How can a 'multitasking' application use no resources? Ridiculous!

Basically Apple took a hammering when the original iPad launched and everyone tittered when they said there was no multitasking. In typical Apple manner they now say iOS supports multitasking and then, for anyone who can be bothered to try and find out what that means, they say 'multitasking' just means suspend and resume as required! Doubtless they will patent that concept and insist that all computers adopt that approach for a fee.

Note it doesn't mention email collection in the background only GPS, music and Skype incoming call alerts.

lotusrootstarch:
True multitasking kills battery life and is not desired on a mobile device such as iPad

Carol Haynes:
Really I get about 6 hours out of my Samsung netbook running multiple windows tasks with screen at 100% and with 2Gb memory, Windows 7 Pro and a full install of MS Office 2010 Pro.

lotusrootstarch:
well a netbook is not a mobile device and does not have mobile software/hardware architecture, and usually has a much bigger battery!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version