ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone got an iPad and like it?

<< < (3/10) > >>

wraith808:
I still have my phone that I can do all that stuff on too, so it's not like I'm "stranded".
-Renegade (October 12, 2011, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Again, truth.  Especially since I can tether the iPad to my phone.

lotusrootstarch:
I still have my phone that I can do all that stuff on too, so it's not like I'm "stranded".
-Renegade (October 12, 2011, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Again, truth.  Especially since I can tether the iPad to my phone.
-wraith808 (October 12, 2011, 10:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes we all can. However the reason that you buy into iPads or Apple stuff in general, is probably not to say "I can do ABC", but to say "I now do ABC in this fashion, with better accessibility/portability and less hassle, etc.".

Carrying and tethering a data-enabled phone to an iPad contradicts the convenience principle and disturbs the peace of mind, especially when you have to remember to worry about the battery status on your phone every once in a while. :)

wraith808:
Carrying and tethering a data-enabled phone to an iPad contradicts the convenience principle and disturbs the peace of mind, especially when you have to remember to worry about the battery status on your phone every once in a while. :)
-lotusrootstarch (October 12, 2011, 10:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not if I only do it rarely.  I use my iPad at home (I have wifi) and work (I have wifi).  The times that I am between the two is rare- too rare to justify another monthly bill and more money for the device.  Others may differ, but it works for my uses.

Renegade:
Yes we all can. However the reason that you buy into iPads or Apple stuff in general, is probably not to say "I can do ABC", but to say "I now do ABC in this fashion, with better accessibility/portability and less hassle, etc.".
--- End quote ---

I don't find the iPad is significantly easier to use for typing anything into. It's still too small for my hands, and using my thumbs is still awkward due to the distance they need to travel, although I don't hit the wrong keys like I'm prone to do on my phone. It's just a trade-off of one inconvenience for another for me.

So at the end of the day, my phone ends up being more portable and easier to carry.

I really think that it all boils down to personal work-habits or play-habits as the case may be.

For the 3G:

Carrying and tethering a data-enabled phone to an iPad contradicts the convenience principle and disturbs the peace of mind, especially when you have to remember to worry about the battery status on your phone every once in a while.
--- End quote ---

My bet is that wraith simply has a very high comfort level with those sorts of things, and it comes second nature to him. Me? Heck... I wouldn't bother trying to tether my phone. I simply don't have the patience. Heck, I barely have the patience to use my phone at all, but that's due to the crappy network and not the phone itself.

My comfort level with a lot of things boils down to, "It works? Are you sure? I doubt it. Yeah yeah yeah... Heard it all before... And it only takes 10 seconds? Last time it took an hour... Bah humbug~! It's not that critical. I'll find something else!"

e.g. My first impression of the Internet was, "Yeah? So? I'll check back later when it improves." There were only a few sites on the web at the time, they were ugly as hell, and there wasn't much there. Everything at the time was very much experimental. I already had been using Archie and Gopher, and the new "Internet" didn't really add much for me. That all changed of course. :)

So regarding "disturbs the peace of mind", yeah... I'm on board with you 100%~! :D

4wd:
We only use the iPad at home, so there's no point in having 3G when the telcos have no sane plans for light usage. -Renegade (October 12, 2011, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

What do you class as 'light usage' ?

$1/month for 50MB, (150MB if you're with TPG - which you were), and 2.75cents per excess MB is hardly a deal-breaker - this is what I use in my Android phone when I want to look up something and don't have WiFi available.

TPG Budget Plan

And the phone/SMS charges are reasonable also.

It even says: Pay As You Go Plans - Recommended for your iPad  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version