ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone got an iPad and like it?

(1/10) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I have looked at iPads with scepticism since they first appeared but someone called me this morning asking for help with their iPad 2 which had just frozen until the battery went flat over night.

We got it going again easily enough but having played with it for 5 minutes I was ready to throw it through the window.

What a piece of crap - the first thing I found was that a family member had sent her an attachment. There is no way to open attachments that aren't 'approved' by Apple, in this case it was a document that had been formatted as a Kindle eBook (it wasn't from the Kindle store and wasn't copy protected). She has Kindle installed but still couldn't open it (just got an error).

Worse there was no way to save the attachment and use Kindle to open it. You can't save attachments (or at least neither of us could find a way to do so).

Having done some research if you can open an attachment you can read it and that's it. If someone sends you a document that needs updating there doesn't seem to be any way to edit the thing and attach it to a reply.

What is the point of this device? Is it really just a sill expensive toy or have I totally missed the point.

Apart from idiots with more money than sense who buys these things?

If I am wrong can someone put me straight please ...

wraith808:
I have one (and just bought my wife one) and like it.  I use it for my RPGs, for reading, for surfing the net, for e-mail, for work... and it's proven more than capable.  It has its limitations, but what doesn't?  As far as your problem, I don't know; I use Stanza, eReader, and the Nook app, and with Stanza and eReader have opened files to import into them.  I'd say your problem probably has to do with DRM, and the fact that the Kindle app can't sideload content that way (the Nook can't either IIRC).

As far as editing attachments, it depends on the attachment and what apps you have installed.  I open attachments in other apps and edit them (rarely, but still..)  The app I have shows up for me to open the appropriate attachments in.  Then from within that app, I can e-mail it back (or upload it other places).

lotusrootstarch:
Idiots with more money than sense who buys these things are these who have no idea how to utilise an iPad beyond web surfing and music.

But yes attachment handling on iOS is crap, Android does bit way better.

nosh:
I have one and really like it. But you need to start looking at it as what it is - a casual use device, rather than a mission-critical one. I'd recommend a wifi only model, something that can be used in addition to your main machine.
There's a lot that you can't do on the iPad, jailbreaking makes the situation a little better. But there's enough I can do on it to justify its purchase. I lost my Internet connection for a couple of days some months back and what I missed most was surfing on the iPad. Whenever I buy a device that I don't really need, once the novelty wears off, I get real and it ends up eating dust somewhere. The iPad gets used heavily every day (mostly web browsing, email, twitter & ebooks). But people need to stop thinking of it as a laptop replacement, just coz Steve said so. :)

wraith808:
But people need to stop thinking of it as a laptop replacement
-nosh (October 12, 2011, 09:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Truth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version