ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone got an iPad and like it?

<< < (4/10) > >>

Carol Haynes:
So if I understand correctly 90+% of what people do with these toys is surf the net and check email!

They are too hard on the eyes for extended reading of eBooks (one of the reasons I have heard people say they buy them).

You can listen to music - but you can that on so many devices (I do on my blackberry).

Email attachment handiling is seriously broken

They can't multitask.

Expensive device and locked in infrastructure.

I can understand the form factor - but sure they there must be cheaper and more flexible options with a similar form factor. What would possess anyone to choose the iPad in preference?

Apple UK Store: 16Gb iPad2 WiFi only = £400

Samsung Netbook: 1Gb memory, 250Gb space and 10 inch screen = £250. Windows 7.
Asus EeePC = £250 (similar spec to Samsung)

Apart from a minor weight improvement and an annoying touch screen why would you spend £150 extra on a device that can only do 5-10% of what you can do on a much more capable netbook.

Sorry I really don't understand the logic?

nudone:
I hate all things Apple (as I hope you know) but I'm quick to contradict myself when it comes to the iPad. Yep, it's rubbish on so many levels but as an ebook/web-reader device it's better than a netbook simply because it's instant on and instant off. That's instant on and instant online.

So, to me, it really is like picking up an electronic book (one that has all the pages of the internet inside). The instant connection makes all the difference to an impatient sod like me. There's also the battery life. The iPad does last around 10 hours on a single charge. The Samsung netbook (that sits about 5 feet away from the iPad and is never turned on anymore) has never lasted longer than 2 hours on a single charge and that's with the screen brightness turned all the way down.

It's all about convenience. The iPad is the most convenient to use - unless you want to do work; if that's the case, go and sit in front of the PC and do it properly.

Now, would I buy an iPad over the new Android 3 tablets coming out - probably not. The iPad was the only choice at the time and I paid the minimum I could (on eBay for around £250 these days). I say "probably not" as there is still the problem of "apps". The iPad is nothing without the "apps". If Android has the same apps then there's no point in buying an iPad.

p.s.
I've recently had the misfortune to use an Android 2.3 tablet. If you try one of those out you'll think the iPad is some kind of super-computer.

wraith808:
They are too hard on the eyes for extended reading of eBooks (one of the reasons I have heard people say they buy them).
-Carol Haynes (October 13, 2011, 04:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
Your eyes?  I do extended reading all the time, and it's fine for me...

Email attachment handiling is seriously broken
--- End quote ---
Unless you have a handler installed... wait, that's all devices...

They can't multitask.
--- End quote ---
What do you mean by multitask?  Look at things side by side?  No... because all apps are maximized.  Keep apps in memory and switch between them?  I do that all the time...

And as I said, I also use it at work (take notes in meetings, use it for an extended monitor/keypad, use join.me and rdp to view remotely) use it for rpgs (mapping, tracking characters, consulting and marking up rulebook pdfs, etc) and writing.

There are downsides and problems to it for sure... but then again, there is with anything else, also.

Carol Haynes:
-wraith808 (October 13, 2011, 06:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Commenting on an earlier comment - I don't believe in eReaders of any type - I like proper books.

The only thing I would convert to eReaders for a time limited dsiposable books such as computer manuals etc. Trouble is this is the one area that all eReaders really stink at becaus the books aren't produced electronically to the same standards and a lots of books that come with CD utilities don't have them included in the eBooks - plus they cost as much as (or on occasions even more than) the hardcopy which is far more convenient to read and scribble on!

What do you mean by multitask?
--- End quote ---

Actually doing more than one thing at a time (not just allowing you to swap between tasks but have background tasks dormant).

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

Commenting on an earlier comment - I don't believe in eReaders of any type - I like proper books.

The only thing I would convert to eReaders for a time limited dsiposable books such as computer manuals etc. Trouble is this is the one area that all eReaders really stink at becaus the books aren't produced electronically to the same standards and a lots of books that come with CD utilities don't have them included in the eBooks - plus they cost as much as (or on occasions even more than) the hardcopy which is far more convenient to read and scribble on!
-Carol Haynes (October 13, 2011, 09:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.  Most of the cd content is downloadable now, and I scribble on mine, and find it more convenient to have a stack of books on my ipad than a stack of books on the shelf.  I have some hardcopies, but they are becoming fewer and fewer.  I do wish that more places would sell both for one price, though.

What do you mean by multitask?
--- End quote ---

Actually doing more than one thing at a time (not just allowing you to swap between tasks but have background tasks dormant).
-Carol Haynes (October 13, 2011, 09:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's a fallacy.  No one works in more than one app at the same time.  If you'd said background task (i.e. kick something off, and go into another program while that's still processing) I'd agree with you; though some apps can be backgrounded and still work, others can't, and it's something that I do find limiting in some cases.  But other than for reference purposes, or sharing information by drag/drop, no one actually works in more than one program at the same time- the mouse related interface that we have on computers doesn't allow it.  I hope in the future multi-touch does allow this (a la Minority Report), but for now, it's an illusion that's been propagated, and doesn't survive the light of reason.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version