ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Suggestions for maximum-lockdown XP system

<< < (2/4) > >>

4wd:
SteadyState25.msi, 6.35MB, where do you want it?

I've stuck it here for the next week: SS25.msi NOTE: Now been removed.

Pretty sure there was a PDF associated with it but I can't see it on my drive atm.

Still on their download center here.

CWuestefeld:
I'm still deciding whether I want to do the SteadyState thing. Here's where I'm at right now:

* Microsoft Defender for AV. I was on the fence between this and Kaspersky. Decided on this due to (a) simplicity and (b) freeware.
* Comodo Firewall. Free and highly recommended.
* Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I wanted a supplement to the AV focusing on spyware.
* User lockdown. Gramps will only have access to a regular-user account. No admin privileges.
* Remote administration. I set up LogMeIn.com, so I can remotely take care of any problems he runs into.
* still to do Make sure I have an up-to-date rescue disc for this system.

cyberdiva:
Why MS Defender rather than Security Essentials?  As I understand it, Defender focuses on spyware but not on viruses.  Security Essentials covers the full gamut.  Indeed, if you install MSE, it will disable Defender as no longer needed.  Since you don't have any other anti-virus software planned, I'd go with MSE.

40hz:
All I would add is to set him up for automatic Windows update using the download and install option, and set it to run sometime during the day when he's likely to have his machine switched on.

+1 w/ Cyberdiva regarding MSE. I'm running it on all my home machines, and Windows business machines. That in conjunction with the built-in firewall and regular Windows updates and I have had zero issues to date. (knock wood)

Malwarebytes is an excellent supplement to the above. Good choice that.

I'm not too crazy about putting Comodo's firewall on a non-power user machine.

While it may offer a higher level of protection (debatable) than Windows built-in firewall, it usually winds up being less effective since most non-tech users simply click ALLOW whenever they get a pop-up alert they don't understand. So this has to potential to make a more powerful firewall less secure than a set & forget one like Microsoft's. Your call on that. My personal experience is that the Windows firewall is more than adequate for normal computer use. Especially when combined with a restricted user account, MSE, and regular updates. That combo is damn near bulletproof AFAICT.

40hz's NSFW take on this stuff

Luck with all this.

P.S. If you really really really need something that's been "harshed and sat-on major" as my niece would say, just buy him an iPad. It doesn't get more locked-down than that little $800 Etch-a-Sketch!

Stoic Joker:
Wow, Dorothy looks pissed...  ;D

(on topic...-> I'm with 40hz and have been having great success with that configuration on 100+ machines over the past year or so since implemented.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version