topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [BARGAIN] GTA Complete Collection - US$12.49  (Read 16931 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[BARGAIN] GTA Complete Collection - US$12.49
« on: October 18, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Via OzBargain:

Complete GTA Collection for US$12.49 at GamersGate.

DDB-GTACC.jpg

And GTA Classics for US$7.49.

DDB-GTAC.jpg
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:29 PM by 4wd, Reason: Changed subject slightly. »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: GTA Complete Collection - US$12.49
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 07:24 PM »
Thanks for posting that. I saw that you can get the first 2 games for free even.

I've never even seen GTA, but always wondered what it was like.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [BARGAIN] GTA Complete Collection - US$12.49
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 12:24 PM »
That's a great deal and I love the fact that these are stand-alone downloads i.e. no need for a third-party client running all the time.  Steam, I'm looking at you....   >:(

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 01:29 PM »
Complete GTA Collection for US$12.49

-weird exchange rate: it is $12.49, but €13.58 !  

-----------
or 18 778 Blue Coins
(List price: €39.95)
-----------

FYI: "Offer expires in 4 days and 12 hours"

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 01:40 PM »
That's a great deal and I love the fact that these are stand-alone downloads i.e. no need for a third-party client running all the time.  Steam, I'm looking at you....   >:(

Personally, I hate gamersgate's install process, and prefer Steam's.  

How do I hate thee, let me count the ways:
1. I've had problems with the resume of their download client (a) with network interruption and (b) when I've had to press pause.
2. After I download a 1GB+ install, I expect to be able to keep it to install later (especially non-DRM'd items).  It actually *deletes* the root install program, i.e. if you run setup.exe to set something up, it *deletes* setup.exe once you install.  A way around that is to copy the file as it's downloading/running, but really, why?
3. More games on GG include DRM than Steam (many that rely on steam for their DRM resort to SecureROM or other virus-like DRM alternatives)
4. There's no way to queue up downloads/installs.
5. No set way to get updates- sometimes they are separate files, and sometimes they update the original, and sometimes, there just aren't any updates.

So yeah, YMMV.  I love steam being integrated, and it doesn't use that much memory, so leaving it running isn't a big deal to me.  Origin and Impulse (or whatever they're calling it now) are a bit more intrusive, and Desura is pretty unstable, so I don't like those as much.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:43 PM »
Ah, I see.  I hadn't actually downloaded or installed them yet.  I was just going off of what I'd read about there being no third-party client involved.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Ah, I see.  I hadn't actually downloaded or installed them yet.  I was just going off of what I'd read about there being no third-party client involved.

Don't get me wrong... I like GG, and have a lot of software through them.  It's just that there's no silver bullet to these services, and I somehow doubt that there ever will be.  :(

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:29 PM »
Is GTA any good? Never played any of them.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 03:57 PM »

The game is good, but your enjoyment will *really* depend on what you like.  There is a story, but you're not constrained to it at all.  It's *very* open world, and your activities vary (though most are illegal).  Driving and jacking cars is of course a big part of it (third person view), though you have missions that do involve activities on foot (beating people up and killing people for the most part).  Very good production qualities (though many of the later become more of the same IMO), but after a while, it became just "more of the same", especially after you get past shock value.  JMO, and this refers to III on.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 05:06 PM »
2. After I download a 1GB+ install, I expect to be able to keep it to install later (especially non-DRM'd items).  It actually *deletes* the root install program, i.e. if you run setup.exe to set something up, it *deletes* setup.exe once you install.  A way around that is to copy the file as it's downloading/running, but really, why?

Bizarre... Why would anyone write their installer to behave like malware like that? Are most gamers that uneducated that they don't know enough to delete large installers if they run out of space? I wouldn't think so.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Bizarre... Why would anyone write their installer to behave like malware like that? Are most gamers that uneducated that they don't know enough to delete large installers if they run out of space? I wouldn't think so.

It's even worse than that... Let's say you download a non-single-file installer, i.e. it has a setup.exe and supporting files, with the setup.exe being less than a meg, and the entire install being 1GB+.  It deletes *only* the setup.exe file, leaving 1GB+ of useless files on your disk.  I say again... WTF?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 06:13 PM »

I've played GTA 1, 2, 3, and Vice City.

I liked GTA 1 but for whatever reason I didn't get very far in it.
GTA 2 was really fun and a big improvement over the first, IMO. I played it quite a bit but still only made it about halfway through.
I really enjoyed GTA 3 and I think I did every mission and side-mission possible. Though I may not have collected all the hidden things and unlocked all the secrets. Then again I may have. I don't remember.
Vice City felt like it wasn't as good as GTA 3 and I soon got bored of it and stopped playing.

When San Andreas came out, I realized that I was no longer interested in the series because I had matured.

That said, I think you'd really like the series.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 07:55 PM »
When San Andreas came out, I realized that I was no longer interested in the series because I had matured.

That's the statement.  The gameplay, over the top violence, and over the top language is grating after a while above a certain maturity level in my opinion.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 08:20 PM »
That's the statement.  The gameplay, over the top violence, and over the top language is grating after a while above a certain maturity level in my opinion.

Uh-oh, seems my level of maturity is not evolving with age, but involuting :D

So is Josh's :P

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00 PM »
2. After I download a 1GB+ install, I expect to be able to keep it to install later (especially non-DRM'd items).  It actually *deletes* the root install program, i.e. if you run setup.exe to set something up, it *deletes* setup.exe once you install.  A way around that is to copy the file as it's downloading/running, but really, why?

i'm a steam user too but there has been an occasion where i used the gamersgate installer (thanks to a generous DoCo member). that installer had an option to "keep temporary files", so i don't know whether it's the norm or exception. maybe this can help you.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 09:08 PM »

if you're a newcomer, then jump straight into IV. about game-play, it's called an open, sandbox, roaming-type of a game with some driving involved. you can also tune in to numerous in-game radio station while cruising in your car which may or may not be yours. in other words you're free to run around and do whatever you want as long as you can get away with it! :D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 11:16 PM »
2. After I download a 1GB+ install, I expect to be able to keep it to install later (especially non-DRM'd items).  It actually *deletes* the root install program, i.e. if you run setup.exe to set something up, it *deletes* setup.exe once you install.  A way around that is to copy the file as it's downloading/running, but really, why?

i'm a steam user too but there has been an occasion where i used the gamersgate installer (thanks to a generous DoCo member). that installer had an option to "keep temporary files", so i don't know whether it's the norm or exception. maybe this can help you.

I chose that option.  That's how I got the 1GB of files still on my machine- but no installer. :(

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 08:34 PM »
I chose that option.  That's how I got the 1GB of files still on my machine- but no installer. :(

then that option is not much of a help for reinstalls. :-\

on another note, the sale is now available in Steam as well!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 01:29 AM »

That's the statement.  The gameplay, over the top violence, and over the top language is grating after a while above a certain maturity level in my opinion.

Apparently it's the 10 year anniversary for GTA 3. Considering my age 10 years ago, that explains why my interests matured not long afterward.

I think the sandbox style gameplay is pretty fun. But the so-called "mature" content (which is actually very immature) is just unnecessary and unappealing to me.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 02:20 AM »
GTA complete package is on sale on steam as well if anyone is interested in it and prefers them.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 07:00 PM »
Got myself this on GG while its on sale (£4.99 in the UK) as thats way to good of a deal to pass up!

Kinda getting annoyed with GTA IV though as it refuses to work on Windows 7 x86, yet san Adreas loads and plays with absolutly no problems at all!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 09:12 AM »
refuses to work on Windows 7 x86

Eh?  I use Windows 7 x86 and it does work.  What kind of error are you getting?

I didn't think this is a problem with some versions.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 09:54 AM »
refuses to work on Windows 7 x86

Eh?  I use Windows 7 x86 and it does work.  What kind of error are you getting?

I didn't think this is a problem with some versions.

At first it wouldnt even run, so I updated, and then it installed the new LIVE thing,, then it wouldnt even load, just gave some undefined error message...so then I tried in compatibility mode (Vista SP2) which gave a SecuROM Failed To Launch error.  So then I tried in compat mode for XP SP3, which allows me to login, get to the splash screens, which then DOESNT let me login on that menu, and when I start game, it gets to "Starting new game", I hear some guy talking (No visual) then it crashes with the following:

gtaiverror.png

Im not even bothered about saving the game, as I bought it mainly cause I like the free-roam options, and on PC being able to update files and download addons (Graphical enhancements, extra vehicles etc...) and the draw of the Driving Physics alongside the crash detail make this better than any driving simulator out there!, so I have the sole intention of downloading a 100% save game file if I can ever get the game itself working (Not downloaded the savegame so thats not causing the issue)