ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Windows 8 from a Developer's Perspective Post-BUILD

<< < (4/4)

Renegade:
From what I can tell, it's business as usual for desktop development, and it's only Metro development where you get hit with stuff like no System.IO and a 30% tax on sales.

I'm I wrong? (I've just looked into it quickly.)

If that's true, then why would I want to develop Metro software? Like WTF? I'll only get buried in the long tail in any app store, so why should I care about Metro?

Can't we just fake Metro in the normal, free, desktop world?

As for XAML, I never got into it much. I tried it out and it just seemed slow and convoluted with no real practical upshot for development. e.g. It can scale. Oh yay.

Dunno... Maybe I need to look at it again. It just seems like everything in XAML takes much longer than in WinForms.

Carol Haynes:
Sorry - it is what comes of having a butterfly mind ...

I'll shut up now and let you get back to discussing on-topic!

wraith808:
I don't think it's possible (or advisable) to completely divorce any technology - especially computing technology - from the social context it will be working in. I say that because most technologies we're using (or developing for) are not being driven by technical merit or engineering considerations, but rather by politics and legal maneuvering. And this is a harsh reality that won't go away any time soon.
-40hz (October 11, 2011, 01:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't disagree... but there's a thread for that discussion.  ;D

Dunno... Maybe I need to look at it again. It just seems like everything in XAML takes much longer than in WinForms.
-Renegade (October 11, 2011, 02:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been forced into the WPF world.  But now I'm not looking back.  XAML does take a while to get your mind around, and it is a different way of looking at things.  And that ramp up time is significant.  But you can do *so* much more *so* easier in XAML.  It's not the silver bullet- I hear people professing that "I don't have any code- it's all XAML!".  But XAML *is* code.  And it is compiled to code.  But the things that you can do with UI in XAML are pretty amazing, especially considering how much work you'd have to do in order to do it otherwise.  And in many cases it can be more efficient also- there was an article on databinding that I read recently- it compared three ways of doing it.  Dependency Objects (XAML-based, though you can do it in code too), INotifyPropertyChanged (code) and Lambdas (code).  It was actually to quantify how much extra time MVVM using Lambda expressions takes to execute, but what also struck me was the difference in INotifyPropertyChanged was from Dependency Objects.

XAML is definitely a great tool that I'm glad to have in my toolset.

As far as the Metro stuff, I think that you hit it on the head, though.  I think how much *we* have to deal with it is going to be based on how much *the consumer* takes to it.  If Windows tablets with Metro take off as much as the iPad and Android tablets have, and if Joe Normal is willing to put up with it, then we'll be saddled with it.  Otherwise, it will go the way of the BOB.

(I did also note that SL in IE is pretty much gone...  glad I didn't get into *that* much.)

Stoic Joker:
So they're killing the message loop and crippling Win32...And giving (force feeding?) us XAML. Grreaaatt...

Wonder if this is what the Mayans were on about? I'll vote for 40hz's box art, tis a nice fit indeed.

mahesh2k:
XAML is good for generic stuff but i don't know how JS and XAML is going to work with memory sucking apps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version