ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

RealWorld Paint 2011.1 finally complete

<< < (4/5) > >>

kilele:
Thanks for the info, i'll keep my eyes peeled for new features: subscribed to your blog rss!
My very last sentence? I was referring to the new beta ^^

TaoPhoenix:
TaoPhoenix, if you remember what was the problem, I'd love to know
-vlastimil (November 19, 2012, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Vlastimil,

Buy the way I find I often use a few particular features out of a sometimes much larger subset, with the signature example being Mouser's Screenshot Captor. I like knowing the big program has 450 horsepower even if I drive it like the semi-senile man I am. (kidding!)

My powers of concentration are rather erratic, but it's good to know you can add a couple of features so the next time I go on a rampage I'll make notes. Very vaguely there's something that I keep opening MS Paint for instead of the much fancier/stronger Paint.net if I can remember why.

TaoPhoenix:
TaoPhoenix, if you remember what was the problem, I'd love to know
-vlastimil (November 19, 2012, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I worked on this today. Here's most of the rundown of the problem:

- Microsoft Paint
Transparent Select Freeform
Transparent Select Square
Copy & Paste
Copy & Open New File & Paste &Save-As a new file
Flip Horozontal & Vertical
Stretch X % Horozontal and Vertical

- Windows Picture Viewer
Quickly Flip through pic libraries "next - next"
Set as Desktop Background

- Paint.net
Effects/Artistic/Pencil Sketch
Adjustments/Hue & Saturation
Adjustments/Brightness & Contrast
Couple of occasional other things

vlastimil:
Thanks for the feedback. RWPaint is not a image viewer/manager (at least not yet), so comfortable browsing of pictures is a problem.

The selection and copy/pasting of images should be possible in the current version, perhaps the commands have unexpected names or are in unexpected locations (selection tools are in the "Magic wand" tool group - the first icon above the canvas; freeform is called "Lasso selection" and there will be "Shape selection" in the future version that would be similar to selecting with Bezier curves in Photoshop). Also, the selected region is represented differently than in other editors (non-selected parts are greyed out).

Flipping and stretching ("Resize (resample)") are in the Image menu. Color adjustments in the Adjust menu and on main toolbar (the half-black, half-white icon).

Artistic effects are indeed missing. There are mainly technical(?) effects like bevel, shadow, outline or glow, but no real artistic effects like crystallize or pointillism.

I am aware that explaining to users how something could be done, if they did not figure it out themselves, is pointless and a sign of a failure of the software. I hope to get better at designing things in the future. Thanks once again for the information about the first impression of the software, it is very important to me.

TaoPhoenix:
I am aware that explaining to users how something could be done, if they did not figure it out themselves, is pointless and a sign of a failure of the software. I hope to get better at designing things in the future. Thanks once again for the information about the first impression of the software, it is very important to me.
-vlastimil (December 02, 2012, 04:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

No no no!  :(  Being the incredible developer you are, my job now is to cheer you up!

I ran into the same thing with Mouser on Screenshot Captor. It's a thing where some powerful program does a lot of stuff, only to happen to miss what at least in my case was THE only use case of some smaller program. And where I am happy to have donated here, is to sometimes get a misc little feature grafted on top of that program so that all that horsepower is there for one day when I need it, but I can do my low-level hack editing on the daily basis. For me the trick to low level tools is like grabbing a blue ball point pen and a pencil and a notebook. I have done some of my best creative work with those - so then questions arise like "why can't you do precisely that on a computer?" Theoretically one day if I had my very own pet developer, you could - I'd devise a program that would *almost* mimic the kinds of tricks I use in notebooks. But until then, and grudgingly admitting that developers are people and not awesome toys, that shall wait for another day!  :D

So let's see... if you're on a dead heat with Paint.net, except you're here and that guy is "just a random dev", then I'd like it if it is possible to graft on the few low level things I do in MS Paint, so then like S.C., your program can be my all-in-one tool. It's Not an image viewer. So far, fair enough, so that's that. Let's see what else.

1. You already have both adjust saturation and hue, so that part is down.
2. Make a customizable "favorite actions" toolbar. (I got the idea from Office 2010, see my rants on ribbons elsewhere.) If a user really only does like 4 things over and over, it becomes amazingly fast if they're all there on a little toolbar in order. For me, all I really use are the Rectangle Select, Lasso Select, Flip Horozontal, and Stretch/Shrink. So if you had a feature like right-click an option and "add to custom toolbar" that makes life a win. : )

Now, for technical points.

1. Resample doesn't seem to have an effect I understand. My goal is to stretch or shrink the picture, but doing a resample looks like it leaves it there. Also, I'd like the choice of independent horozontal and vertical relative resizing like MS Paint does.
2. Flip Horozontal would be nice - just saves a step having to rotate twice, because the 90 degree cases don't do anything for me.
3. A "Clear All Tools" bit  / button would be useful. I find it rather distracting to be locked into a "select" or other tool, and I'd really rather just go back to as if I'd opened the picture the first time and do something else.
4. A "pointer" tool that doesn't do anything might be nice. The idea is that with the selects, if your hand jiggles then you've yanked a piece of your picture apart and there's a small risk of damaging the picture if you somehow can't undo it such as blundering a close-save changes. A pointer is then like a "safety" so as you're just imagining things, sorta clicking around, you can't actually hurt anything. You could combine this with the "Clear All Tools" bit.

Whew! It's a lot of words, but should be a piece of cake to do after all that other stuff is in there!

Regards,

Tao

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version