ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

cloud processing for end users - when? already?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Renegade:

Renegade: Video transcoding was only one example. I can see many other uses: image manipulation, 3D rendering tasks, complex OCR tasks for a lot of documents, and so on. Basically, any task where
 (upload time + download time + cloud processing time) < local processing time

Bandwidth might be an issue but shouldn't be exaggerated, even for the case of video transcoding. A fairly large number of people have had 100Mbit connections at home for some time. Very far from all of course. But many enough for this kind of service to take off I'd think.

-Nod5 (October 10, 2011, 02:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're absolutely right.

I was probably lazy there.

What I mean is that we have could computing for business right now, and businesses typically have lots of bandwidth with servers in data centers.

The thing is for consumers... Different story. While a lot of consumers have bandwidth that can handle large tasks like that, I don't believe that the consumer market has reached a critical saturation point where the business model for consumer cloud computing for bandwidth intensive tasks makes sense.

Hmmm... that's a mouthful. Let me simplify it.

I don't think that there are enough consumers (that have enough bandwidth) for a company to justify creating those services. It wouldn't be profitable right now. Given time, better Internet infrastructure can be rolled out, which would then make the business model practical.

Any company that jumps into the market there would likely be trying to get the first mover advantage, and counting on increased bandwidth in the consumer sector to drive their growth in the future.

wraith808:
Bandwidth might be an issue but shouldn't be exaggerated, even for the case of video transcoding. A fairly large number of people have had 100Mbit connections at home for some time. Very far from all of course. But many enough for this kind of service to take off I'd think.
--- End quote ---

Doesn't really matter how much bandwidth you have if it's being limited by your ISP, which is a very real situation a lot of people are in.

Renegade:
--- End quote ---

Doesn't really matter how much bandwidth you have if it's being limited by your ISP, which is a very real situation a lot of people are in.
-wraith808 (October 11, 2011, 06:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Speaking of, I just wrote an expanded version of an article I wrote on getting around censorship:

http://cynic.me/2011/10/06/getting-around-internet-censorhip-internet-freedom/

Summary:

VPN + DNS

eleman:
Speaking of, I just wrote an expanded version of an article I wrote on getting around censorship:

http://cynic.me/2011/10/06/getting-around-internet-censorhip-internet-freedom/

Summary:

VPN + DNS
-Renegade (October 11, 2011, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

That solution assumes that there are still places to open VPN tunnels to, and there are still honest DNS servers.

ACTA is bent on remedying that loophole. Just wait for a couple of years.

Stoic Joker:
That just opens a "market" for pirate DNS servers. Crank down too far and they'll start getting hit just as hard as FTP servers did 5+ years ago.

Where there's a will, there's a way ... and an attack vector. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version